Cycling in Asia forum

Where to keep insurance documents?

• Mortenxxx

Click here to learn more about Mortenxxx
    Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2011
    Location Norway

I am going on my first longdistance biketrip starting in Luang Prabang,Laos and going trough Cambodia and Thailand.
    My greatest fear is a traffic accident. What is the best thing i can do so that any hospital or anyone else who might need to take care of me knows i have an insurance and then can pay for any service provided. (considering i am not able to communicate)

(I am about to tattoo my insurance data on my body....)

I have an Travelnomads insurance.

#1 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 12:32

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My insurance company gives me a small wallet-sized card with my name, policy number and international phone numbers. I make extra copies, laminate them, and put copies in different locations (eg in my day-to-day wallet, my money belt, my daypack, and with my travel papers - depends on how carried away I want to get).

If your company doesn't give you a card, just make one up. I also make a small card containing my name, contact details (mobile and email address) and emergency contact details (parents name, contact details) and keep it in the same locations. When I lost my wallet once in Singapore, I was hopeful that someone may have emailed me to tell me that found it. It was a longshot, and I wasn't so lucky... but you never know!

I also copy/laminate the photo page of my passport and my NZ drivers licence (and/or international licence). These come in handy with you need to show ID, or hand your passport over when you check in at hotels. In Vietnam, you are supposed to leave your passport with the hotel until you check out. Over a whole month, every place I stayed in (except one) accepted the photocopy. using the copy reduced the risk of me forgetting to collect my passport when I checked out. If hiring a motorbike or vehicle, some places try to get you to leave your passport behind. I also try to leave the copy instead, but don't usually accept it. Doesn't stop me from trying though.

You should also scan these docs and email them to yourself. That way if you manage to lose all the copies, you can still print more! I also do the same with receipts for, and photos of, big-ticket items that I'm taking with me (camera, netbook, pack, etc).

Check in with Tilapia, a regular poster on this site if you want cycling-specific info for the region. He's done a bit of cycling around Thailand (and poss other areas?) - and is a mine of information!

#2 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 15:13

• Mortenxxx

Click here to learn more about Mortenxxx
    Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2011
    Location Norway

Tnx busylizzy!

Insurance-stuff was my last worrie. All planned and ready to go now. :-)

http://mortenstour.blogspot.no/

Mortenxxx

#3 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 11:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Morten - just had a quick look at your website. Looks like you're going to be having a fantastic, adventurous journey. Enjoy!

#4 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 15:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.