Photo: Cycling the backblocks of Thonburi.

Cycling in Asia forum

Where to keep insurance documents?

Posted by Mortenxxx on 9/8/2012 at 12:32

I am going on my first longdistance biketrip starting in Luang Prabang,Laos and going trough Cambodia and Thailand.
My greatest fear is a traffic accident. What is the best thing i can do so that any hospital or anyone else who might need to take care of me knows i have an insurance and then can pay for any service provided. (considering i am not able to communicate)

(I am about to tattoo my insurance data on my body....)

I have an Travelnomads insurance.

#1 Mortenxxx has been a member since 7/8/2011. Location: Norway. Posts: 12

Posted by busylizzy on 9/8/2012 at 15:13

My insurance company gives me a small wallet-sized card with my name, policy number and international phone numbers. I make extra copies, laminate them, and put copies in different locations (eg in my day-to-day wallet, my money belt, my daypack, and with my travel papers - depends on how carried away I want to get).

If your company doesn't give you a card, just make one up. I also make a small card containing my name, contact details (mobile and email address) and emergency contact details (parents name, contact details) and keep it in the same locations. When I lost my wallet once in Singapore, I was hopeful that someone may have emailed me to tell me that found it. It was a longshot, and I wasn't so lucky... but you never know!

I also copy/laminate the photo page of my passport and my NZ drivers licence (and/or international licence). These come in handy with you need to show ID, or hand your passport over when you check in at hotels. In Vietnam, you are supposed to leave your passport with the hotel until you check out. Over a whole month, every place I stayed in (except one) accepted the photocopy. using the copy reduced the risk of me forgetting to collect my passport when I checked out. If hiring a motorbike or vehicle, some places try to get you to leave your passport behind. I also try to leave the copy instead, but don't usually accept it. Doesn't stop me from trying though.

You should also scan these docs and email them to yourself. That way if you manage to lose all the copies, you can still print more! I also do the same with receipts for, and photos of, big-ticket items that I'm taking with me (camera, netbook, pack, etc).

Check in with Tilapia, a regular poster on this site if you want cycling-specific info for the region. He's done a bit of cycling around Thailand (and poss other areas?) - and is a mine of information!

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Mortenxxx on 12/8/2012 at 11:02

Tnx busylizzy!

Insurance-stuff was my last worrie. All planned and ready to go now. :-)

http://mortenstour.blogspot.no/

Mortenxxx

#3 Mortenxxx has been a member since 7/8/2011. Location: Norway. Posts: 12

Posted by busylizzy on 12/8/2012 at 15:20

Hey Morten - just had a quick look at your website. Looks like you're going to be having a fantastic, adventurous journey. Enjoy!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.