Cycling in Asia forum

Searching for Bicycles!

• Sunniman

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2013

Hello,

Me and a friend are currently travelling through Malaysia and up into Thailand for the next couple of months, then onwards to see loas. I am hoping that my daily prayers to the travel-gods will be answered and i might be able to find someone with a good touring bicycle who is finishing their journey around Thailand. Ideally i am after 2 bikes or maybe even a tandem??! Or, if anyone has information on a good place to buy such gear in Thailand then any replies would be a benefit!

Peace peace, Sunniman!

#1 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 02:45

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

#2 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 07:54

• haas1mic

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2012

Hi, Iam in southern Thailand cycling north from Singapore to Bangkok. At the moment Iam about 35km south of Phatthalung. I have a Trek with a 52cm frame that I would like to sell at the end of my trip. I you are near by let me know. Happy trails, Mike

#3 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 22:08

• Sunniman

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2013

Mike, what a man! Yeah i am going to be in southern Thailand closer to mid march then in Bangkok within a couple of weeks of that. I'm not sure how this suits you? My email is sean.sidney.b@gmail.com, maybe we can work out some sort of plan and i could get some more details about your bike.

Thanks brother-pedaller

#4 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 02:51

• haas1mic

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2012

Hi, Thailand seems to be full of bike shops. I was just at a trek dealer in Phattalung buying a new rim. While I was there I priced a couple of touring bikes just in case you were interested in hearing what they cost. I saw a couple of new Trek touring bikes for around 600 USDs Hope this helps, Mike

#5 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 03:15

• domdom46

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2013

Hello, we are in Siem reap and we finish here our bike trip. We have 4 excellent bikes, fully equipped to travel south est asia, for sale. We bought them new 4 months ago. We sell for at very good prices. Dom

#6 Posted: 22/2/2013 - 09:43

• Sunniman

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2013

Mike, thanks for that info! Sorry i think i won't be up to Thailand in time to get your bike but really appreciate your help!

#7 Posted: 24/2/2013 - 03:41

• Sunniman

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2013

Hey Dom sounds good! But, what are your movements from Siem Reap... Cause i will be in thailand within 2 weeks and Bangkok in about 5 weeks so i was hoping to find some bikes in this area.. i think it might be a bit to much for me to get all the way over to cambodia any time soon. Thankyou thankyou

#8 Posted: 24/2/2013 - 03:43

• domdom46

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2013

Hello, we are in Siem Reap for the next couple of days and we are flying to next week. So we need to sell now !... So not sure it matches your journey.

Anyway, siem reap is a very good stop in a bike journey, because of the beauty of angkor, of course, and also because it's a good location to go to laos : a new road is just finishing and already open, which goes from siem reap to strung streng and then up north to Laos. We rode it, it has little traffic still and saves a lot of kms vs the busy road throught phnom pehn. We loved the whole trip, from burma to cambodia, through laos.

Regarding the bike shops, it is rather basic in siem Reap. The offer is much better in bangkok, but expensive because of very high taxes for imported products such as good bicycles and touring equippement.

Regarding our bikes, a few more info If it is still relevant for you: they are from the american brand "specialized". They are hybrid touring bikes, with front suspensions. They are light and confortables and at the same time, very adapted to the bumpy roads in cambodia and laos. We have ortlieb waterproof panneers.
    Hope that helps, have a safe and lovely trip !
    Dom

#9 Posted: 24/2/2013 - 06:27

• Sunniman

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2013

Hi all,
    now hoping to find one good second hand bike during the coming weeks.
    Will be spending a few days in Bangkok roughly 5th to 9th of April and also in Chiang Mai area 13th to 16th of April.
    If anyone comes close we can try to meet and pick up. Also love to get some hints on where to get maybe some good paneers (bike bags) or second hand bike shops in these areas. We have looked at the website of www.wesalebike.com but have trouble understand the Thai, does anyone know more about this shop and can give some advice? Also we have heard of shops called velothai, cycle sport, bike zone, do they sell cheaper touring bikes and do they sell second hand bikes?
    Thanks heaps for any comments!

#10 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 10:11

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.