Cycling in Asia forum

Cycling In Sukothai

• cubanmeow

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2007

I'm not a very experienced cyclist, does it leisurely at the park. I'm probably only capable for rides scaled 1 on 5. How difficult / easy is it to cycle around Sukothai city, not just the istorical site.

#1 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 16:07

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's easy -- very easy. Largely flat and not particularly chaotic traffic. Many opt to take a songtheaw out to the park and then hire a bicycle there.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2007 - 17:36

• cubanmeow

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2007

Thanks somtam2000. Do you know how much is it to get to Sukhothai from Phitsanulok (I'm coming from Bangkok by train) if I have my bicycle with me? I do not want to cycle there but prefer a songthaew. I asked the hotel and they are charging me 2000B for a private car!!!!

#3 Posted: 23/7/2007 - 20:36

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Cubanmeow
    Well all the songthaews I saw in Phitsanulok were really small . Barely big enough for two people at a squeeze , and I would not like to travel the distance to Sukothai in one .

I would cycle to the Bus Station ,and travel through to Sukothai that way .

#4 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 00:38

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There are a lot of buses going between Phitsanulok and Sukhothai. As long as it's not rush hour, or the last bus of the day, it shouldn't be a problem for them to put your bike in the buses storage hold.

It's not far from the train station to the bus station in Phitsanulok. Walkable if you don't want to ride.

The trip from Phitsanulok to Sukhothai is about as flat as you can get just in case you feel like riding.

Also, when/if you get to the bus station, don't bother taking a songthaew into town. Ride your bike to your guest house.

It's 12km from Sukhothai to the historical park in Old Sukhothai. Again, completely flat.

DO NOT pay B2000 for a car. That's insane!!!

Do try to pop into Wat Phra Si Mahathat (Wat Yai), right on the Nan River beside the bridge that leads to Sukhothai. It's worth the stop if you're interested in Buddhas.

#5 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 02:14

• cubanmeow

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2007

One more question to anyone who knows: How safe is it to travel with the bike on the trains? Do they issue a collection slip to avoid thefts? And how much do they charge for the bike?

#6 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 11:20

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I think you have to go through the special baggage office in Bangkok, and the fee is small. Having said that, I've seen people hop onto trains with their bikes (not in Bangkok), and watched porters just lean the bikes in the corridor near the storage bunks. No extra fee was collected. This only happened on trains that were not particularly full.

If it's going into a baggage car, make sure you've got it all locked up before taking your eyes off of it.

An excellent ride is from Old Sukhothai to Si Satchanalai. Also, from Nong Khai to Chiang Khan along the Mekong (or the other way). Magnificent riding!!!

#7 Posted: 25/7/2007 - 22:18

• kelly7898

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thank you for the post.

#8 Posted: 21/4/2010 - 16:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.