Cycling in Asia forum

Cycling partner for supported bike tour in Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia: June/July 2014

• hmrolstomt

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

Hi all,

I'm am hoping to take a supported bike tour in June/July of this year and am looking for a cycling partner as tours in my price range have a 2-person minimum . My schedule is flexible and I'm open to tours in several locations within Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam. I'd like to take a tour any length from 7 to 15 days. Let me know if you have similar interests and we can discuss some of the tours on my wish list!

In addition, if you are already planning to take a tour and your group would be willing to have another rider, please let me know!

Cheers,
    Hannah

#1 Posted: 23/5/2014 - 19:20

• Advertisement

• cuddlepuppy

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013

Hi Hanna,
    I will be on vacation in Thailand from June 6th for a couple of months. Last year I did a few weeks cycling in Malaysia and Southern Thailand on my own but it was a bit lonely. So I would love to go in a group this time. Please dont be put off because we are of opposite sex. Its just better to travel in company.

I have done a bit of cycle touring and I recently di a part of the Munda Biddi Trail in Western Australia. This system keeps giving me the message "Needs more work? Put down the bordeaux and lets try again" so I am just adding text an hoping it will accept my post.

#2 Posted: 25/5/2014 - 21:04

• hmrolstomt

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

Hi Cuddlepuppy,

Thanks for your interest. I've been looking at tours offered by Cambodia Cycling. The tour I'm most interested in is 13 days from Bangkok to Luang Prabang (Laos). We could start the tour on June 15. Here is the itinerary: http://www.cambodiacycling.com/thailand/thailand_cycling_bangkok_luang_prabang.html
    I'm not sure what your budget/travel standard is like, but I'm thinking I would like to ask the tour company if we could reduce the cost a bit by substituting modest guesthouses for the three and four star hotels.

I'm up for other tours in other locations as well. My schedule is pretty flexible.

Thanks again for the reply,
    Hannah

#3 Posted: 25/5/2014 - 22:44

• cuddlepuppy

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013

Hi Hanna,
    I have been in Bangkok and Luang Prabang before so I know the area.
    The majority of what we would be paying for is the company overheads. Accommodation, even 3 and 4 star is pretty cheap. It may be a hassle for them to arrange alternatives. Last year I found about 70km per day in summer was my comfortable limit. We are in summer and it gets pretty hot. The first 2 hours after dawn are fine, but then it gets sweltering. And parts of Laos are pretty hilly. So I am balking at the distances. I am not too fussy about accommodation, in fact I usually just find my own way around. If you are up for doing it unsupported, I just use google maps to find my way around and had my belongings in panniers.
    Here is my last trip in Australia: - http://youtu.be/grRF10tcCeo

We could pretty well just copy any trip you want. There are always plenty of places to stay in Thailand. It would be better without the military coup in BKK but so long as one behaves its not dangerous. They are well practiced at them there its their 12th!
    Graham

#4 Posted: 25/5/2014 - 23:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Cuddlepuppy - the bordeaux message is only if you want to edit your post. There is a "submit post" button above the offer of wine - use that instead and you should eb set.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 25/5/2014 - 23:44

• hmrolstomt

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

Thanks Graham. Good to know you have some experience with the area. Will you be taking your own bike and gear? I would need to rent/buy a bike, helmet, panniers, etc.

#6 Posted: 25/5/2014 - 23:53

• cuddlepuppy

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013

Last year I took my own bike etc. but it was quite a hassle flying with it. I would prefer to hire one this year. I might take my own panniers and helmet over. Lots of bike places in BKK. The hassle with hiring is to get it back to the start again.

BTW where are you from etc.

Graham
    Denmark, Western Australia
    www.denmarkbluewren.com.au

#7 Posted: 26/5/2014 - 02:43

• hmrolstomt

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

I want to be honest, I've never done a long distance cycling trip like this before. That's why I was going the "supported" route, as I don't want to deals with all of the gear.

I'm arriving in Phnom Penh in a couple days. I likely won't be in Thailand until July. Be in touch if you might want to meet up sometime then.

Hannah
    American

#8 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 23:40

• cuddlepuppy

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013

Great Hannah,
    I arrive in BKK on 6th June. I will then be heading up to Chiangmai. Its cooler up there and a really good area for cycling and there are a few companies operating out of there. Spiceroads.com have a few tours running but they are a bit more expensive. They do also hire out good bikes and equipment. My email is backpackergraham@gmail.com. It would be good to keep in touch. Do you FB? My id is graham.mason9.
    Cheers,
    Graham

#9 Posted: 28/5/2014 - 00:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northern Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Indonesia March-June 2014 ... By louiisamarie on 3 Feb 2014 3 1275 24 Mar 2014
25 M UK, Thailand-Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam 6 weeks June-July 2012, looking for travel buddies ... By shervin87 on 9 Mar 2012 11 3346 20 Jun 2013
Single female cycling Thailand, Laos and Cambodia June 2011 ... By swit on 21 Mar 2011 52 9012 21 Feb 2013
Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam - June/July 2012 ... By monisriz on 7 Apr 2012 5 2164 30 May 2012
19yrs old singaporean vietnam-cambodia-thailand (may-june/july) ... By slpngg on 20 Mar 2011 2 2011 5 Jun 2011
SE Asia June 25 thru July, departing August 3/4. Hong Kong/Malaysia/Singapore Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos ... By starlitdazzle on 26 May 2009 1 3478 5 Jul 2010
23yo female, Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam Feb-Apr 2014 ... By channahnas on 9 Jan 2014 2 1223 12 Jan 2014
Thailand, laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali - 6 months (Jan 2014) Advice needed ... By lewism05 on 15 May 2013 5 3570 21 Oct 2013
THAILAND AND VIETNAM JULY 2014 ... By gasgas on 28 Apr 2014 1 580 28 Apr 2014
THAILAND AND VIETNAM JULY 2014 ... By gasgas on 1 May 2014 0 566 1 May 2014