Cycling in Asia forum

Trek along Mekong

• priyanka

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2008

I am planning trip down the Mekong on Cycle with my friends.. Jan feb 2009
    I plan to do it till Laos cross over in a boat.. or preferrably on the cyle again... then fly or reach somehow( Cylce/bus) Laos capital... venture around and then go to Siem Reap.

Is all this possible... has someone done this cycle trekking?

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 9/6/2008 - 17:05

• Advertisement

• priyanka

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2008

We start from Northern thailand, cycle trek..down.. I hope it is not very confusing????

#2 Posted: 9/6/2008 - 17:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I knew there was a post about this somewhere...

Here's some tips for the Thailand portion of the ride

#3 Posted: 9/6/2008 - 18:18

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I plan to do something similar in December, beginning in Loei province and finishing in the 4000 Island area of S. Laos.

Highway #211 and Highway #212 are great for cycling. The traffic is not too heavy, the scenery is great, and it's quite flat for the majority of the way. At least it is between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai it is. There are places to stay at good intervals (Chiang Khan, Pak Chom, Sangkhom, Si Chiangmai, Nong Khai), lots of temples, lots of tobacco farms, nice little villages and very friendly people.

You can cross in Nong Khai and follow #13 to S. Laos, but from what I have read it seems that choices for places to stay/sleep after Vientiane might be very limited. However, I would like to read more about this highway.

But, for the area between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai, it's fantastic!!! I will try to get my trip report posted before you go in January. I should be home by around January 7th.

Cheers
    Mike

#4 Posted: 9/6/2008 - 18:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"You can cross in Nong Khai and follow #13 to S. Laos, but from what I have read it seems that choices for places to stay/sleep after Vientiane might be very limited. However, I would like to read more about this highway."

If you stay on the Thai side through NKP province and cross at Mukdahan into Laos, there are a lot of places to stay. BUT, there ain't much between Savanakhet and Pakse. You might want to wait until Udon to cross.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2009 - 00:33

• pythagnz

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2005
    Total reviews: 12

I rode the route from Vientiane to Pakse in May 2008. There was a lot of new development, especially in the first 100km after Vientiane. Accommodation isn't actually a problem. Check out the journals over at crazyguyonabike.com for ideas.

#6 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 02:10

• priyanka

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2008

Our trip has been postponed till later this year as One of my frens got pregnant while we were planning this.

So we go probably in OCt or Nov 2010. Thanks for all your trip advise.

Yes Mike your update will be most useful all of us bikers here.

I checked out crazy guy on a bike.....very innovative.

#7 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 03:54

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Recommend that you hold off until November. It will probably still be raining in October.

I have really dropped the ball on writing up my bike journal, but after Christmas it should be much easier. The snow is flying and I'll be inside more. I'm hoping to include "before and after" photos. Before = when I first went through the area in the early '90s, and After = my latest trip. Not too much changed, I gotta admit.

Good luck to your friend.

#8 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 21:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.