Cycling in Asia forum

Day cyling trips from Bangkok

• Mallet

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Can anyone recommend a company offering day cycle tours from Bangkok please, preferably in
    the countryside.
    We are not paricularly keen on off-road cycling.

Thanks very much

#1 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 00:19

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Mallet

I read your post earlier, and thought I'd like to help, but I can't.

Well, blow me down with a feather, there I was sitting back enjoying the winter sunshine this afternoon, reading the local Sunday paper when out pops an article answering your request.

The article spoke of cycling tours to/in Khao Yai National Park - some 2 hours from Bangkok. The 'ride' is on well graded dirt roads, and includes the capacity to visit a couple of wineries.

They take you and the bikes there and back in a minivan. Doesn't say how much. They say don't go on weekends or National Holiday days 9as everyone goes then).

The company being promoted is Spice Roads:

www.spiceroads.com

The wineries are:

www.khaoyaiwinery.com
    www.granmonte.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 12:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Short day trips, consider Phrapadaeng -- covered here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/47

#3 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 17:49

• Mallet

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Thanks very much for these 2 valuable replies. Both companies offer exactly what we wanted and we now plan to do a bit of homework on the best options.

We are both keen cyclists in the uk and in our late 60s. We planned to travel by overnight train form Bangkok to Laos but the prospect of a 9 day cycle run from Chaig Mai to Luang Prabang with Spice Roads is tempting.

Thanks again Bruce Moon and somtam2000. It was very kind of you.

#4 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 05:52

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Mallet

That 9 dayer would be amazing. What struck me is that it also includes a visit to Chiang Dao (really beautiful there) and from Pak Beng to OudomXay and across to Nong Khiaw would be stunning. I did the Nong Khiaw - Luang Prabang boat trip (in reverse) earlier this year - its great.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 06:37

• crellston

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009
    Places visited:
    At least 2

For a day trip out of Bangkok we used http://www.absoluteexplorer.com/ and had a great time. We met up with our guide at the railway station and jumped on a train for the 1 hour trip out into teh countryside and visited a farming co-op, prawn farm, fruit farm plus a local market.

#6 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 19:23

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Yeah, Grasshopper and Spice Roads do day trips in and around Bangkok. Grasshopper are a friendly bunch, I haven't experienced Spice Roads (but a friend did and said they were excellent).

There are a few other companies doing day trips in and around Bkk. the floating market tour is popular.

Perhaps you would also consider doing something by yourself. If you haven't got any ideas I would be happy to help. There are a few places in Bangkok which hire bikes. Doing it by yourself does give you some freedom.

Also there are the Hashers who go out most weekends. Fun times I am told, haven't been myself.

#7 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 10:41

• AlyssaAnne

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

The Grasshopper's Bangkok Countryside Tour sounds like it could be interesting and doesnt seem to have the market stops like other tours - I could be wrong. Not sure if the price is a good one or not, but US$44 for 6 hours seems reasonable?

#8 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 17:18

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That price seems quite expensive to me. However, having cycled into, out of, and around Bangkok's busy streets, quiet streets, and alleyways, it is a great way to spend a day (and a heart-stopping way to spend an evening) and I doubt you'll regret parting with that much, especially if you don't have the gear to do it on your own.

If you wanted to do a trip on your own, there are good bikes available for rent not far from KSR and by Lumpini and, with a good map (or GPS), you could take off for a day or two for a fraction of the price and see much more.

Tours take the work out of it, though, and make life a bit easier.

#9 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 03:43

• Mallet

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Thanks again everyone.

We are attracted to the Grasshopper Countryside Tour because it covers a reasonable distance and doesn't seem too involved in many market stops etc which are always a bore. There always appears to be some financial motivation in these 'attractions'. Their night trip also looks interesting.

The idea of doing one or two independent cycle trips is also very appealing and we plan to follow up goo_stewart's (#9) suggestions.

We also hope to do a couple of day cycle trips from Luang Prabang in Laos and Hua Hin, south of Bangkok, where we will spend the final 7 days of our tour. I'll ask for info on Luang Prbang on the Laos section of Travelfish. Meanwhile, if any of you kind people can help, we would be very grateful. The phrase 'The Kindness of Strangers' comes to mind!

Thanks again.

#10 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 04:28

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's possible to cycle to Wong Wien Yai Station in Thonburi and put your bikes onto the little train to Mahachai. From there you can cycle to the coast and salt farms in about an hour, and have a superb seafood lunch or dinner, as well. Then just put your bikes back onto the train and you'll be back in Thonburi in an hour.

B10 per person for the train, and another B40 for each bike. It's a great way to get out of Bangkok, and it's a great area to cycle around.

#11 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 00:28

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Mallet, Hua Hin and surrounding areas are excellent for cycling. I would suggest a ride to Pranburi and the beaches there. The ride is only about 50km but is an excellent day trip. The beaches at Pranburi are excellent and quiet. There is a couple of national parks and a beach in one of them (the name escapes me at the moment) but it is just deserted and beautiful. Take your bike around Cha Am, Pranburi or Hua Hin and you will have a wonderful few days. Maps are available in the local Gh and hotels.

#12 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 09:44

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That park would be Khao Sam Roi Yot and, yes, it is a very nice area with stretches of empty beach. At least, they used to be empty. When I lived in Khao Takiab they were.

There is an amazing cave at Khao Sam Roi Yot, as well, and lots of shrimp farms. The Killing Fields was filmed there.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 23:45

• Mallet

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Thanks again for the mine of good information on cycling in Bangkok and Hua Hin . To our delight, we are going to spend more time on bikes than we imagined. It's such a fantastic way to see the country and meet people.

Goo_stewart - thanks very much for the info on cycling in the Hua Hin area.
    Are there cycle hire shops in the town?
    I assume that there are quiet roads on the coast or do you have to travel on the main roads?
    Will cycle hire shops have some routes to suggest?
    You say that maps are available in hotels and local Gh. What is Gh?
    Finally, can you cycle in the Khao Sam Roi National Park?

Thanks also Tilapia. We plan to extend our stay in Bangkok to cycle from Mahachai to Thonburi one day. All good stuff!!

My grateful thanks.

#14 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 15:18

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mallet,

When you go south from Hua Hin you have to follow a road that runs a little ways away from the coast. There are lots of small roads that run down to the beach, but none that run parallel to the water until you are closer to Khao Takiab and then south of Pak Nam Pran.

The ride down to Khao Sam Roi Yot is very scenic and has very little traffic.

#15 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 19:58

• Mallet

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

We eventually joined 2 tours with Grasshopper, based in Bangkok and other parts os South east Asia. Their day tour of old Bangkok was very good. They took us over the river and well away from the chaos of Bangkok to a facinating maze of streets, villages, temples and canals. It's well worth it and the trip gets rave reviews. We also too their 'Bridge Over the River Kwai' 3 day trip which was excellent. They have a good website. We were so imressed that we are joining their 2 week cycle trip through Myanamar (Burma) in December.

#16 Posted: 8/11/2011 - 04:01

• breet

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2012

good informative post here if i go there i remember it.

#17 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 04:00

• thebahamas

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

Hey Mallet what is the right time to visit Bangkok?

#18 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 00:24

• Mallet

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Hi the bahamas

We went in November and the weather was perfect but the weather websites will give you more detailed info. Grasshopper is still providing some good trips in the region. Our 2 weeks in Myanmar (Burma) was unforgettable last year and we are joining them on their Cambodia cycle trip in November. Cambodia was nominated by the Sunday Times as one of the top 3 countries in the world for cycling. Enjoy your trip.

#19 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 03:44

• tools4fools

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Bangkok to Mahachai route:

Cross either at Klong Toei port or out in Bangna - take bike on BTS there - per ferry to Bang Nam Phueng and ride from there to Prapadaeng.
    From there you can use side roads until you get to the outer ring road, only once you need to cross a busy main road.
    From the outer ring road you can use little country roads most of the way to Bang Khun Town. From there continue not far from the coast towards Mahachai.
    Total disstancedistance maybe 70km.
    Nice ride, on weekends you will meet lots of local bikers out there.

#20 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 05:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.