Cycling in Asia forum

Ho Chi Minh Trail - What's The Best & What's Paved?

• themuths

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009
    Location United States

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm having some trouble determining exactly what parts of the Ho Chi Minh Trail are exactly paved. Heard that north of Hue was good to ride, but even that was more hearsay than fact. Want to ride it for at least a few days, though it seems doing so in the north is much more easy and accessible... if it's paved, since we'd rather not take our mountain bikes on muddy and hilly trails for days on end if we can avoid it.

Any help's greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    Anderson

#1 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 18:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There is more than one HCM trail as far as today's roads are concerned and I think most are paved. North of Hue you can go to Dong Ha then inland towards Khe Sanh (Route 9) then take a right onto the road that runs north all the way to its junction with Route 15 north of Dong Hoi.

Take a look at the map I made on post 13 of this thread the northern stuff, where they go inland makes use of the HCM trail (or bits of it anyway.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 09:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The Ho Chi Minh trail is in Laos and Cambodia - not Vietnam.

#3 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 00:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

madmac, it's in all three -- the network crisscrossed back and forward over the border. Route 14 (running north of Kontum) and then north again of Khe Sanh are considered to follow the path of one of the original trails. You'll see it marked on some Vietnamese maps as duong Ho Chi Minh (Ho Chi Minh Rd/St).

#4 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 07:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Somtam
    The modern selling of the Ho Chi Minh trail has taken fact and twisted it. The NVA and VC "controlled" no meaningful amounts of territory in South Vietnam during the war. We could interdict any supply line running through the country. The NVA had a very difficult time moving troops or material across the DMZ. Laos, on the other hand, was territory in which the US Army was not operating, and it's proxies lacked the capability to interdict the trail and defeat NVA units there.

This article here explains it best

#5 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 17:46

• themuths

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009
    Location United States

Posted from within Vietnam.

madmac - while i don't dispute your point, the fact that you are presenting a travel company's website as, well, fact, is a bit debatable to say the least. Active Travel Vietnam is selling a product, and are at least somewhat biased...
    Now, the HCM trail was certainly in all three countries, to what extent in each is, perhaps, something that may be lost to history since it was quite secret even when it was current.
    But, as a cyclist traveling within Vietnam, clearly I'm primarily inquiring about the "twisted" Vietnamese modern version, since that's where I'm at and that's what I'm trying to see :-)
    For sure it might not be wholly authentic, but it ought to be at least somewhat scenic.
    For the record, time permitting I think we're going to ride from Hue to Dong Ha, perhaps 2 days total, though I'm fearful that the tropical storm en route could cause us some problems...

Thanks for the "suggestions" and the "discussion"

#6 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 22:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Here is a good story on the topic from the Smithsonian -- it covered all three countries.

"The old infiltration and supply route—which the Vietnamese call Truong Son Road, after the nearby mountain range—wasn't a single trail at all. It was a maze of 12,000 miles of trails, roads and bypasses that threaded through eastern Laos and northeastern Cambodia and crisscrossed Vietnam."

Full story here: Smithsonian -- it's a very good read -- road location aside.

#7 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 04:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK obviously it did cross into Vietnam from multiple points. That was the whole point of the trail - it was a supply and infiltration route for the NVA and Vietcong. That's all clear enough. But the terminus points are in South Vietnam. The principal "trail" - the collection of north to south roads that the NVA used as a main supply route - ran through Laos and Cambodia. The sub-routes running into vietnam were small because they had to be. Once in South Vietnam, they were well and truly vulnerable to ground interdiction which was not much of a concern in Laos or Cambodia, the major operation around Tschepone not withstanding.

#8 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 18:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hanoi's Ho Chi Minh Trail Museum: what\'s it like? ... By EdwardTrunk on 4 Jan 2014 2 674 8 Jan 2014
Original Ho Chi Minh Trail Truck Route Map ... By tdlphoto on 28 Aug 2012 0 1568 28 Aug 2012
Landing in HCMC 7/03/14 anybody planning to do the ho chi minh trail by bike? ... By littletimmy on 5 Mar 2014 2 408 7 Mar 2014