Cycling in Asia forum

Cycling thru Asia

• NomadicBunch

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2010

Hi,

I am currently in Singapore but looking to travel thru Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand....etc, by bicycle.
    I am here till the end of April so if you are interested to join me please drop me a note here...I am very flexible on dates and open to different itineraries.

Also if you have any suggestions on routes , places to see - please feel free to post ....Thanks a lot in advance.

Looking forward to hearing from,

Elya

#1 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 10:04

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey Elya,

The stretch of Mekong between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai is an utterly fantastic ride!

#2 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 04:22

• NomadicBunch

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2010

Thank you...have you ever cycled thru Cambodia,or Laos ? any advices ?

#3 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 22:26

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Only through part of Southern Laos, from the border at Chong Mek to Pakse and then Champasak. Great riding. Beautiful, easy.

It's also an easy and very nice ride from Ubon Ratchathani to Khong Chiam, and then to the border at Chong Mek.

#4 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 10:03

• 5toedcribit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

Hey guys... two friends and myself are cycling from yunnan down to through lou and thailand...now... question is does anyone know who i call in china (being im in yangshou at present) to organise visas for thailand and lou.
    I intend to be in thailand for as long as possible so three month visa would be sweet.
    I know that flying into thailand a visa is not a worry being there is the whole 30 day free giddy up visa but i have heard crossing through the boarders on peddle is slightly different...
    any wise words from me fellow migration birds?

#5 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 10:37

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You should get a Tourist Visa before you cross into Thailand. If you're cycling, thereby coming overland, you will only get a 15-day visa. However, if you get your visa in either China or Laos before you arrive, you'll have a 60-day visa for FREE (until March, 2011.) Then, once you get into the country, you can extend it by 30 days, giving you a full 3 months without worrying about having to rush towards a border or paying for an overstay.

#6 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 00:27

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

One more thing ... I recommend that you exit Laos through Vientiane. That way you can get your visa at the Thai embassy there, and then cycle from Nong Khai west to Chiang Khan. It's an amazing (!!!) ride along the Mekong River.

#7 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 00:37

• 5toedcribit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

Tilapia ....nice one son...its all coming together and im out of yangshuo in three weeks...just trying to get fit and have a fit rig to travel on.. there is three of us and we are ecited to get back into the wild...Thanks for the tips, it seems to be the way to go for the visas seeming to be not to much hassle ....we are pretty sure we'll leaving from just outside of kunning followig the back road to Yuxi..Pu'er..Sipsongpanna then crossing the boarder at mohanzhen....hoping to spend a bit of time in laos inbracing the wild animals there preferablly in the wild ...do ya know of reserves or NP that offer a good perve?

#8 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 09:06

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I think you'll have more luck embracing wild animals in the meat sections of village markets than you will in the great outdoors of Laos. Having said that, Laos is the only place where I have seen wild elephants that were not in a national park or some other protected area.

Really, though, I can't speak to that particular topic. Other than elephants, snakes, rats, the odd bird, a couple of monkeys, I haven't seen much in the way of living wildlife in Laos. Khao Yai National Park in Thailand is good for deer, elephants, monkeys, and birds, though. You may want to take a ride through there.

Have a good ride. I'll be over there in about 7 weeks, cycling along the Mekong. Maybe our paths will cross?

By the way, you don't have to exit Laos through Vientiane . After getting your Thai Tourist Visa in Vientiane you could cycle down the Mekong to Pakse, then cross into Thailand at Chong Mek, then head into the country. Gotta say, though, in my opinion the riding is better west of Nong Khai than it is around Chong Mek and Ubon Ratchathani. They are both good in their own ways, but the more northern area is pretty sweet and very scenic.

Best.

#9 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 00:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.