Finance and money forum

2 people, £6000 4 mounths is this enough??

• chrismcchris

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

hi me and my girlfriend are traveling from thailand through laos vietnam cambodia the thai islands malysia and end up in singapore. we are more than happy to travel and sleep and eat cheap. we do like a good beer or three but wont be hitting the clubs. maybe 1 or 2 flights on the journey is £6000 a reasonable budget for 15 weeks travel?? were both first timers in se asia so any answers would be lotts of help thanks.

#1 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 19:51

• Advertisement

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Chris
    my partner and I did Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam about 12 months ago. We were also fist-timers and tended to stay in flashpacker accommodation rather than the cheapest places going.

We took a few internal flights - Bangkok to Luang Prabang, Vientiane to Hue, Saigon to Phu Quoc and we budgeted £50/day between us.

For your 15 weeks that comes out at £5250 so £6000 seems OK. I should also say that we were under-budget for the SE Asian portion of the trip.

#2 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 22:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi chris,

when i'm travelling in SEA i tend to spend in the 1,200 to 1,500 baht a day range in thailand and the equivalent in laos and cambodia, and that is at a very comfortable flashpacker level. when my sweetie is with me, we spend between 2,000 and 2,500 baht a day, which works out to about 50 quid, which is more or less your budget. i imagine that if you are travelling at a reasonably comfy backpacker level, you'll spend even less than that. check out air asia for cheap airfare deals in the region too. have fun. cheers.

#3 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 22:41

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Sounds like a good budget. As long as there's no unforeseen great expenses, you'll be more than fine and won't need to keep that tight track of your spending either.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 01:13

• chrismcchris

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

Thaks for the responces helped me a lot thanks.

#5 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 13:35

• Mexicano31

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2010

Hey daflj sorry to be nosy here but I got curious as to what you mean when you say:

"I should also say that we were under-budget for the SE Asian portion of the trip."

Thanks

#6 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 23:32

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

No worries Mexican,
    all I mean is that we budgeted for £50 / day, and at the end of our 2 months in SE Asia we had spent less than that.

#7 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 14:57

• monkindy

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi Chris, your sound like your going to all the places I am planing on going to next year ('thailand through laos vietnam cambodia the thai islands malysia and end up in singapore'). Im having a bit of trouble confirming my itinerary. If you dont mind, could you tell me your itinerary?

Thanks

#8 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 16:51

• monkindy

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi Chris, your sound like your going to all the places I am planing on going to next year ('thailand through laos vietnam cambodia the thai islands malysia and end up in singapore'). Im having a bit of trouble confirming my itinerary. If you dont mind, could you tell me your itinerary?

Thanks

#9 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 16:52

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

One thing to bear in mind is the recent weakness of the pound. We started our South East Asia trip in Thailand in November 2009 and were getting 55 baht to the pound, by the time we left for home it was about 47. Now you will get nearer 45 baht. That is quite a difference. You need to keep this in mind when budgeting - how much people spent over a year ago may well be very different to how much you need to spend now.

Most of SEA is still cheap compared to Europe or North America, but it is NOT as cheap as it once was, especially, I'm afraid, if you're from the UK.

#10 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 20:09

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.