Finance and money forum

£1500 for 8 weeks around Thailand/Loas/Cambodia/Vietnam

• mrnice88

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2010

Hi there, just wondering, im travelling for 8 weeks around Thailand/Loas/Vietnam.Cambodia. Im not fussy when i comes to where i stay, and im not going to be gtting pissed and going out too much, a little bit obviously. But back to my point, do you think $1500 would be enough to take. Ive had a few set backs recently which have stunted the amount of money i was planning to take. Any thoughts and opinions welcome

Much Love

#1 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 20:13

• Advertisement

• hutty

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2009

That's heaps of money as long as you already have bought your travel insurance and ticket, and everything you need to take.

Just take buses around (transport can be expensive) and stay budget. In my experience, the biggest expense most people have is blow-outs on McDonalds or drukgs but if that is not your thing then you should be fine.

Buy bottles of spirits not beer, share taxis, dont buy drinks in clubs, er.. have fun!

#2 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 00:42

• mrnice88

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2010

cheers hutty! flight has been bought and had a look at insurance which looks like its going to cost me about 75 quid! im looking to travel by buses, but also one or two flights to save on time and money, for example from HCMC to Ko Tao and possible from Vientiene to Phnom Penh.my reasons behind this is it saves time which would hopefully save me having to spend money on food and drink on long bus trips etc. but but to be honest, i dont know as this is my first trip of this kind away....but much appreciated for the comment

peace

#3 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 02:45

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Don't know what insurance companies you looked at but last trip I found an insurance company that was a lot cheaper than World Nomads. Same underwriter and exact same terms and conditions. This said I didn't make any claims so I I don't know how good they are at actually paying up when something goes wrong. Might be worth a look though.

http://www.worldescapade.com/default.aspx?lang=1

You could also check to see if your credit card doesn't cover you. I don't live in the UK but mine gives free medical/repatriation cover for the first 90 days.

Transport costs impact quite a lot when you're on a tight budget.

Example: A return ticket from Chumphon to Ko Tao on the Lomphraya ferry is going to cost you nearly a whole day's budget. How many nights were you planning to stay there?

Ferry tickets 1100B
    Accommodation say 500B/night.

If you stay just one night it's going to cost you 1600B/night to be on Ko Tao. If you stay a week it'll cost you 657B/night Furthermore you often get discounts on accommodation if you stay more than a few days.The longer you stay put somewhere, the cheaper it gets.

One obvious way for you to reduce costs would be to visit fewer countries.

You'd have more time to explore each country, and you'd be saving not just on transport costs but also on visa fees. The only country on your list that you don't have to pay to enter is Thailand.

If you haven't already done so, it might be an idea to look at the suggested itineraries at the top of the page in the "before you go box". They give you an idea of how long it takes to comfortably get anywhere.

You say you'll save time and money by flying but I don't know where you've seen the flights you mentioned.

What airline does the HCMC-Ko Tao Route???

Are there any cheap direct flights between Vientiane and Phnom Penh? If not, can you get decently timed connecting flights? Otherwise you'll have to overnight in an expensive airport hotel or spend a day hanging round an airport terminal and that isn't going to save you any time or money!

The cheapest airline for international flights in the region is probably Air Asia. Click on that great big red ad on the right and see if there are any useful flights you could use. Bear in mind that getting to the airport can sometimes cost almost as much as the flight itself though.

#4 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 18:10

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

You will save time by flying some legs but you probably won't save any money. You will have to eat regardless of whether you are on a bus or at your destination and there's (probably) more chance of you being in a restaurant (incurring higher costs) once you're at your destination than whilst in transit. On buses and trains I tend to make do with snacks rather than full meals. You've also got to factor in accomodation costs, e.g. if you fly rather than taking a night bus/train, you will have an extra night's accomodation.

I'm a bit puzzled why you would fly HCMC to Koh Tao if you intend to visit Cambodia though - surely it would make more sense to travel through Cambodia on your way from HCMC back to Thailand? Or do you have a specific order you need to do things in?

If you've got the funds and want to squeeze more in then go for it, but if you're on a budget I'd do a bit more research into cost comparisons before committing to too many flights. Having looked into flying myself, I found that the cost of some flights just did not justify the time saved (for me anyway) - for example Siem Reap to Bangkok is very expensive and can be done in a day overland for a fraction of the price (bus, tuk-tuk then taxi or shared jeep). Similarly, Siem Reap to Vientiane. On the other hand, I found Luang Prabang - Chiang Mai to be considerably cheaper than LP - BKK.

I found seat61.com very useful for train information (it has routes, timetables & costs) and got bus information from Lonely Planet guides and this website.

I guess if you're travelling yourself it might not make so much difference, but if you're travelling with others two airfares vs. two bus tickets really makes a difference. Enjoy your trip, whichever way you travel!

#5 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 18:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam plan ... By tuck60 on 25 Sep 2012 4 1780 27 Sep 2012
7wks in Thailand, Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By aineokane on 29 Jul 2012 1 1415 29 Jul 2012
Travelling around Thailand, Cambodia, Loas and Vietnam - Any Ideas??! ... By SteveHickey on 6 Dec 2006 1 3714 6 Dec 2006
Thailand, Loas, Cambodia & Vietnam. Nov/Dec 2010 to end of Jan 2011 ... By JonG on 27 Oct 2010 9 2575 7 Dec 2010
Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam itinerarie ... By traveltiger on 29 Sep 2007 4 3766 30 Sep 2007
ROUTE TO VIETNAM / CAMBODIA / LOAS / NORTH THAILAND - SOUTH ... By mango551 on 11 Jan 2010 2 5417 14 Jan 2010
3 Months Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam & Loas Trip Report ... By miranda456 on 17 Apr 2007 15 13078 23 Sep 2010
Cambodia to Loas to Thailand....Help.... ... By jimmychalthorpe on 25 Oct 2008 1 2269 26 Oct 2008
Thailand or Viet nam , Loas , Cambodia ... By jakethedog on 22 Nov 2008 5 3472 6 Apr 2009
vietnam cambodia and loas iterinary suggestions ... By linda_4383 on 1 Feb 2010 2 2127 14 Feb 2010