Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

money/denominations

Posted by hfergu on 13/5/2010 at 23:19

Hello there! I just wanted to run my plan by a few travelers to see if it makes sense.

My boyfriend and I will be going to SE Asia for 2 months of budget concious travel (2 weeks Thailand, 1.5 weeks Laos, 2.5 weeks Vietnam, 2 weeks Cambodia). We have already purchased flight and insurance.

We will each be traveling with between $2000 to 3000 available funds.Fortunately, Canadian currency is almost at par with the US dollar (somehow this happens when I do extensive traveling!I'm lucky). Do you think this will be enough? We budgeted $30 per day each, plus a flight from Vientiane to Hanoi (which will cost about $200 each).

We are thinking of each bringing $500 cash (in 100 dollar and 50 dollar denominations) plus $500 traveler's cheques (in 100 dollar denomindations).I was also hoping to bring some smaller currency for visa purchases and for in Cambodia and Laos. The remainder of our money will be accessed through debit/ATM and credit card transactions.

I'm not really overly concerened with carrying around this amount of cash (although it is a bit nerve-wracking I've done it before in Africa plus there are lots of good suggestions on these forums about how to divide/carry it) but any suggestions about the amount/denominations would be very helpful.

Many thanks!

#1 hfergu has been a member since 21/3/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 26
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/5/2010 at 10:32 admin

Sounds ok to me -- for the cash, I'd just take $100 notes, not 50s and make sure none of the notes have even the smallest tear as you'll have problems exchanging them.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.