Finance and money forum

money/denominations

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

Hello there! I just wanted to run my plan by a few travelers to see if it makes sense.

My boyfriend and I will be going to SE Asia for 2 months of budget concious travel (2 weeks Thailand, 1.5 weeks Laos, 2.5 weeks Vietnam, 2 weeks Cambodia). We have already purchased flight and insurance.

We will each be traveling with between $2000 to 3000 available funds.Fortunately, Canadian currency is almost at par with the US dollar (somehow this happens when I do extensive traveling!I'm lucky). Do you think this will be enough? We budgeted $30 per day each, plus a flight from Vientiane to Hanoi (which will cost about $200 each).

We are thinking of each bringing $500 cash (in 100 dollar and 50 dollar denominations) plus $500 traveler's cheques (in 100 dollar denomindations).I was also hoping to bring some smaller currency for visa purchases and for in Cambodia and Laos. The remainder of our money will be accessed through debit/ATM and credit card transactions.

I'm not really overly concerened with carrying around this amount of cash (although it is a bit nerve-wracking I've done it before in Africa plus there are lots of good suggestions on these forums about how to divide/carry it) but any suggestions about the amount/denominations would be very helpful.

Many thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 23:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sounds ok to me -- for the cash, I'd just take $100 notes, not 50s and make sure none of the notes have even the smallest tear as you'll have problems exchanging them.

#2 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.