Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Why is the baht so strong?

Posted by SBE on 17/5/2010 at 21:06

I just checked exchange rates on oanda :

euro 39.3584
US dollar 31.8712
UK pound 46.3066

Can someone explain why the Thai economy is in such great shape right now?

#1 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by neosho on 18/5/2010 at 09:11

Asian countries are recovering from the recession quicker than the west. The euro is falling because of the debt problem in Greece, Spain, and Portugal. The US has 0 interest rates and it's own debt and political problem. Currency manipulation by the central bank. Last but not least. No matter who wins the current political battle in Thailand, it will be business as usual in this country. A person would have thought that after the coup in 06 foreign investment would have dropped like a rock, but it hasn't. I'm not an economist, just my view. I'm sure there are others out there who can give a more technical explanation.

#2 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by somsai on 18/5/2010 at 09:41

Market dropped 3% at open today, down 2% at close. I read the entire GDP of 1% on political unreast. I'm repeating from memory, been reading all the twitter feeds upper L. How you figure out which part of the econmomy is due to global recession and which part dut to politics is beyond me.

Love the links via twitter. Great Al Jazeer video today. Thanks Somtam

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Posted by Nokka on 18/5/2010 at 18:22

Not so sure that it's the Baht that's strong. More likely it's the Pound and the Euro that are weak.

#4 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by photosonmytravels on 19/5/2010 at 02:44

This is a really good question though, I get £1000 pension a month and this year alone I have steadily "lost" 6000 Baht per month. Really hope things turn soon!

#5 photosonmytravels has been a member since 19/5/2010. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.