Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I just checked exchange rates on oanda :

euro 39.3584
    US dollar 31.8712
    UK pound 46.3066

Can someone explain why the Thai economy is in such great shape right now?

#1 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 21:06

• Advertisement

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Asian countries are recovering from the recession quicker than the west. The euro is falling because of the debt problem in Greece, Spain, and Portugal. The US has 0 interest rates and it's own debt and political problem. Currency manipulation by the central bank. Last but not least. No matter who wins the current political battle in Thailand, it will be business as usual in this country. A person would have thought that after the coup in 06 foreign investment would have dropped like a rock, but it hasn't. I'm not an economist, just my view. I'm sure there are others out there who can give a more technical explanation.

#2 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 09:11

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Market dropped 3% at open today, down 2% at close. I read the entire GDP of 1% on political unreast. I'm repeating from memory, been reading all the twitter feeds upper L. How you figure out which part of the econmomy is due to global recession and which part dut to politics is beyond me.

Love the links via twitter. Great Al Jazeer video today. Thanks Somtam

#3 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 09:41

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Not so sure that it's the Baht that's strong. More likely it's the Pound and the Euro that are weak.

#4 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 18:22

• photosonmyt-
    ravels

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2010

This is a really good question though, I get £1000 pension a month and this year alone I have steadily "lost" 6000 Baht per month. Really hope things turn soon!

#5 Posted: 19/5/2010 - 02:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.