Finance and money forum

Travellers Cheques in CAD

• mckayb

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2010
    Location Canada

I am heading to Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia from June 10 to August 31...So I have just bought a good amount worth of travellers cheques in Canadian dollars. I was going to get them in USD, but I realized I would have to pay twice for the currency conversion (CAD>USD>THB). I figured I could just get them in CAD and avoid being dinged twice. My only concern is that the Canadian dollar will not be recognized in some places especially in rural areas. Have any other Canadians brought travellers cheques in CAD?

To those wondering why I am not just using my chequings account and withdrawing from ATM'S: I wanted to avoid paying almost $8 per withdrawal which is what it would be compared to just 33THB per traveller cheque. I just need to make sure I have enough $$$ to survive the weekends when the banks are closed.

Any other tips/advice is appreciated!

#1 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 04:39

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

$8 for int'l withdrawals... ouch. Is that TD?

It's only $3 per withdrawal for President's Choice Financial. ;)

You shouldn't have any problems cashing the traveler's cheques at banks... In Thailand even the small towns have a bank or 2... Laos not so much. You're right about USD being better recognized though and it usually gets a better exchange rate (even for traveler's cheques).

It's wise to travel with some US cash anyway for a back-up (bank closed, ATM out of $$) and/or paying for visas. Ex. For Laos we're the most expensive nationality for visas at $42 USD cash for Canadians, but the fee in kip or baht is significantly more.

#2 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 00:12

• mckayb

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey thanks for the reply...

Actually I am with PC Financial. Your right it is $3 per withdrawal, but when you add the 150baht fee it then becomes $8 total. To me it seems like a no-brainer to go with TC's. Is the difference in the exchange rate between CAD and USD TC's substantial? Even if it is I am still avoiding changing currency twice plus I am sure it doesn't amount to the $8 total per withdrawal using ATM's.

I hear ya about having some US cash. If I run into the problem of the Canadian dollar not being recognized somewhere, I will have my US cash to use. I was planning on doing that anyways. I didn't realize that if you paid in a currency other than USD for the Laos visa it is significantly higher. Good to know, thanks.

#3 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 01:37

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Ditto for Cambodia -- visa is $20 USD, but if you want to pay in baht they'll give you a crap exchange rate and it'll be closer to $25 USD. Plus entrance fee to Angkor Wat is in USD...

#4 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 12:10

• maryray

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2010

sorry don't want to sound dumb but just so that I understand this thread.

I bank at both TD AND PC....what's best to do? withdraw from the ATM or bring US travellers cheques. If withdrawing from ATM - do I use my PC or my TD account.

This will be my first time in Bangkok and Phuket.

#5 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 03:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travellers cheques ... By frere on 4 Nov 2013 3 1081 19 Nov 2013
How much Cash/Travellers Cheques ... By elena9 on 27 Jan 2008 1 2689 27 Jan 2008
Mosquito Net & Travellers Cheques ... By Gerry on 22 May 2008 7 4884 14 Aug 2008
How much USD to bring ? And what about travellers cheques? ... By nickolt on 25 Oct 2010 12 6557 3 Dec 2010
Travellers cheques in Cambodia? ... By halu on 11 Oct 2006 6 3628 30 Oct 2006
USD OR STERLING TRAVELLERS CHEQUES? ... By dazm26 on 31 Jan 2008 1 4128 31 Jan 2008
travellers cheques in provincial towns ... By wanderingcat on 8 Nov 2006 1 1784 9 Nov 2006
US$ Travellers cheques -> US$ cash in Bangkok ... By krisim on 11 Feb 2010 2 2081 12 Feb 2010
Travellers cheques LAOS- can you get US dollars in cash as well as kip in LP? ... By keithmartine on 31 Dec 2008 0 4319 11 Apr 2011
Prepaid Visas vs. Debit card vs. travellers cheques which is best? ... By gocartmozart on 21 Feb 2013 5 3205 22 Feb 2013