Finance and money forum

Dollars in Vietnam

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi,

Can one get dollars in Vietnam? Can one change travellers cheques in half dong/half dollar, or take dollars fro ATMs as in Cambodia?
    Or is it best to take dollars from home? Coming from Europe I don't know if I won't lose more getting dollars at home...

Thanks alot for your advices!

#1 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 17:32

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahhh good question and I'm not sure of the answer. I know in Thailand if you have USD cheques and want to change them into USD cash, you have to convert to Thai Baht forst (and so wear two sets of commissions), but I'm not sure if that is also the case in Vietnam.

ATMs in Vietnam dispense only Vietnam dong.

#2 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 09:20

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi Indoluso.

I was quite surprised nobody answered your other question about euros and dollars a couple of days ago.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/financemoney/10784_euros-dolars

I didn't try and answer because I've never been to Vietnam and it's a long time since I was in Laos so I couldn't remember if I'd changed euros into dollars beforehand or not.

I've a feeling I just took euros in cash though (There were no ATMs back then). I've never had much problem changing euros anywhere else in SE Asia, even in Burma. If it were me I'd just take Euros in cash and a credit card but maybe someone who actually knows for sure will see your question now!

#3 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 13:53

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi!

Thanks alot for your answers! Perhaps I'll take a little dollar back-up in case euros won't do in some place.

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 14:49

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes it's a good idea to take some dollars with you as a back up, especially if you're buying visas in SE Asia because they are nearly always payable in dollars.

#5 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:57

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, you can get dollars in Vietnam if you go to a bank and use your credit card to withdraw it.

I went online beforehand and transferred money from my savings account to my credit card to avoid the immediate interest charges. Then went to the bank, handed over my credit card, showed my passport and walked away with US$. I did this twice, once in Danang, and again in HCMC without a problem. This is a good way to get a significant amount of cash, too, without having the same sort of limits placed by ATM's.

I always carry some US$. I keep a small amount (say $100 in 5 x $20 notes) tucked away for emergencies (eg running out of cash where there are no ATM's) and larger notes for the items that SBE mentioned (Visa's, etc).

#6 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 03:47

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Actually I wouldn't take any denomination larger than a 20 because more often than not people don't have change even when you're getting a visa so they'll give you your change in local currency (at a bad rate naturally).
    Take $5 and $1 notes too so that you have the exact change.

$100 in cash should be heaps unless there are things in Vietnam and Laos that you HAVE to pay in dollars rather than local currency. For example, entry fees to major "must see" sites like Angkhor Wat and Bagan are payable in dollars, and Angkhor Wat costs $45 for 3 days if I remember right. Otherwise you can just change Euros directly into local currency without losing money by changing into dollars first.

#7 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 15:27

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Great info SBE & busylizzy, perfect!

Thanks alot!

#8 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 16:21

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Great info indeed.

#9 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 17:33

• joeaddison79

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2011

You can get USD at a bank with your passport. You can probably get it on the street too, but it can be complicated. You will end up getting a bad rate at a bank.

You can also get VND from an ATM if you pay 20 or 30,000 Dong withdraw fee and an international transaction fee.

#10 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 02:11

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.