Finance and money forum

anyone used wizard clear advantage mastercard recently?

• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

hi,
    just wondering if anyone has used wizard clear advantange mastercard in debit recently. As i just activated my card and the first call person told me it was fine to load up my card with my own funds but when i asked some other questions related to the cash adavnce feature she tranferred me to another call person who said that i cannot load up any amount onto my card and apoligized for the previous persons mistake he also said if i put the card in credit it will be locked until a refund is processed.
    i am very confused as i was planning to use this card soon for a overseas trip.
    thanks for any comments.

#1 Posted: 17/7/2010 - 10:41

• Advertisement

• juliemc

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2010

Know your enquiry was back in July, but my husband and I always use our Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard when we travel and we also put it in credit before we leave home. Think its the best thing since sliced bread as they say. No annual fee, no conversion charges and no charges to withdraw money as we have funds on the card. If we spend more than our credit I use my notebook to transfer more funds.

We were away in Europe and UK for all of August and September 2010 and didn't have any problems. Did you know that they have recently changed the name now to 28 Degrees Mastercard as Wizard sold the rest of their products some 18 months ago and GE Money have decided to give this card a new name. I shall certainly be checking before we go to the US next year in case they have new rules.

#2 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 13:53

• mr_ed

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2010

Just to add to juliemc's post, I'm looking at getting a 28 degrees mastercard so I just called GE to ask whether I am able to put this card into credit with my own money and then use it as a debit card to avoid the interest paid on a cash advance. I actually called twice to make sure I was getting the correct info. The first time I was told that "yes you can do that but Wizard does not appreciate our customers doing this" and the second time I was told that "yes this is fine but if the money is stolen/subject to fraud, Wizard cannot provide help to regain the money that was in credit." So in short, yes you can load it up, they just dont like it.

Just wondering juliemc, how do you find the exchange rates that you get with the card compared to the xe rates?

#3 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 14:17

• furnerburne-
    r2

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2010

I used it last time in February with the "load up" feature and it worked fine for me.

Moreover, the rates were EXCELLENT!

#4 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 15:41

• furnerburne-
    r2

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2010

wizard clear advantage card the other day $1= 28.86 baht

xe.com today 28.95!

#5 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 15:47

• juliemc

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2010

Hi mr_ed, the exchange rates were very good. I paid a cruise deposit in US$ which came through yesterday and I was billed AUD $520.00 for US$500 - that's really good.

We saw today that Travelex cards rates were only 91c against the US$ when the figure quoted on Sunrise this morning was a little over 96c.

Did you know also that you can get a Commonwealth Bank Money Card without paying the $15 upfront fee, as well as some difference in commission (can't remember the figure). You have to buy a travel money card for at least AUD$1000 and some travel cash which doesn't have to be a large amount before the end of this year to get the deal. They also told us they sell both the travel money card and cash at the same rate - which is a surprise, there's usually quite a difference.

#6 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 16:32

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

This is an issue very close to my heart, especially when it's around withdrawal time.

My bank charges me $5au to use a foreign ATM, then another 3% of the figure withdrawn, which added to the 150thb/$5au Thai ATM withdrawal fee adds up to a real sting in the bank account.

At first I figured this Wizard thing must gouge you on the exchange rate, if the fees are so low. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Now if only I could open an account while out of my home country....

#7 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 11:45

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

You should go for international travel card.

#8 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 17:24

• juliemc

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2010

After posting the above messages thought you may be interested in the following information which has appeared in two publications during the past week.

#1: Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard was mentioned in the latest Money magazine Best of the Best. page 112 - "Most ordinary debit or credit cards charge $4 plus 2.5% to withdraw cash overseas, which can add up to hundreds of dollars over the course of a trip. The Wizard Clear Advantage MasterCard has no annual sign-up fee, and doesn't charge you anything to withdraw funds from overseas ATMS." (Remember this card has been renamed 28Degrees MasterCard since 1 December with no changes).

From first hand experience they also DON'T charge any conversion fees. I first decided to apply for this card after reading about it in the Money magazine about 5 years ago. It won a "Best of" award and they called it the card travellers should not leave home without. As mentioned in earlier postings, in my book its the best thing since sliced bread for travellers.

#2: David and Libby Koch provide a "Your Money" supplement every week in Monday's edition of the Courier-Mail. This week they had an article "Escape enormous travel costs" and there it is again."Historically the best credit card to travel with was Wizard's Clear Advantage MasterCard, now called the 28 Degrees MasterCard.

Now part of the GE Money stable, this remains the only card currently available in Australia to have no international transaction fees, no currency conversion fees, no annual fee and no fees for overseas cash withdrawals."

I note Errik goes for the international travel card. Last trip to Europe we also took a euro and GBP travel card, but we found that you don't get the best out of them. We could only draw down to the nearest 10 euros or 10 british pounds at ATMs, and you can't work out ahead just what to put on it, as well you pay every time you withdraw cash, more for euros than pounds. So with having to pay upfront to buy the card, pay commission to load it, pay to withdraw it and lose anything upto 10 euros or 10 british pounds as you "can't get at it", its not the greatest.

#9 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 06:11

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Forgive me for being a tad skeptical, but what's in it for the card provider? If there's no fees of any description, why provide the service?

I'm sure there's something in there where they make a little bit, I just don't recall reading where. What's their angle?

And why'd they change the name? 28 Degrees? Huh? Why.

#10 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 09:40

• Advertisement

• juliemc

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2010

Can understand you are a tad sceptical. I'm also surprised they don't have some charges even if you pay the balance in full each month as we do. But I guess most people only pay off the minimum amount required or part of the balance, then they would be paying the normal monthly charges. We've used this card hundreds of times over the years we've had it and it has cost us nothing.

#11 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 10:35

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Just spoke to them and apparently you need to have "a regular, taxable income" to apply. Savings, no matter how substantial, are factored into the equation, which sucks because I'm good for the money - better than most - but I don't have a regular income stream so they won't consider me.

#12 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 11:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.