Finance and money forum

£1800 for s.east asia in october- december?

• newbiedanie-
    lle

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Hi, I'm Danielle and I'm going backpacking solo this year for the first time. My travels beforehand have been limited to Europe, so I'm both terrified and excited!

I'm going to visit a friend who is working in S.Korea and leaving there on 4th October. I was planning to do Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand-flying back to England from Bangkok some time in December. However I think I will have about £1800 once I've paid for my flights- is this stretching it a bit thin? It works out to about £20 or $31 per day. This would have to include accomodation (I don't mind basic but would like it to be bearable), food (I want to eat from street sellers etc a lot of the time to try some new things) and transport- buses/trains, don't think I'll be able to afford many flights. As for day trips, I would like to do a cooking course in Thailand, maybe go elephant treking and sailing one day but its not essential.

Would you suggest I eliminate one country and go back there in the future to explore with a bit more money. I was thinking to remove Vietnam as I would like to do an easyriders tour when I'm there and that would remove a big chunk of my budget. If so, is Cambodia a good place to start, then up into Laos and down through Thailand?

Thanks very much, any views are appreciated.

#1 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 05:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd be inclined to drop one country if only to slow down your pace of travel. You'll be able to get by on the budget you mention, but expect to be down at the lower end of the accommodation scale. Vietnam is the obvious candidate to "save for another day". If you were to do that, you could fly from Korean to Bangkok and then do a loop through the three countries.

#2 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 05:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SE Asia - October-December - First time traveler. ... By JamieMH on 3 Aug 2011 17 2931 10 Oct 2011
South East Asia December 2011 HELP!! ... By mattyoliver on 3 Aug 2011 1 3599 3 Aug 2011
A destination in east/SE Asia for 2-weeks september/october ... By moonsahde777 on 3 Aug 2011 0 3364 3 Aug 2011
South East Asia 17th October for 3 months - 18/m/uk ... By brg93 on 27 Jun 2012 6 1258 1 Aug 2012
Travelling South East Asia in August, September and start of October ... By bryliesmiley on 6 Mar 2012 0 3351 6 Mar 2012
25yr old female doing SEA late October-December ... By saramarie on 30 Sep 2012 2 769 15 Oct 2012
East or West - December ... By mark1980 on 14 Jul 2008 1 1720 15 Jul 2008