Finance and money forum

Booze and other stuff.

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

Hi all.

Heading back over to SE Asia in November with the girlfriend and just want to get an idea of some costs for our budget. We'll be going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Large or small beer from traveller restaurant/bar/shop
    Vodka/whiskey bucket
    Bottle of vodka/sangsom
    Rice/noodle dish
    Average beach hut accomodation - nothing fancy like aircon
    City guesthouse - again nothing fancy
    Train/boat ticket from Bangkok to Ko Phangan

Cheers.

#1 Posted: 5/9/2010 - 23:12

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Are you looking for costs for all countries? I'll just comment on a couple of specific prices in Vietnam as I'm sure others will be more up to date on prices elseswhere.

Large or small beer from traveller restaurant/bar/shop - Small bottle of local beer around $1, large bottle about $1.50, large draft around $2. Cans are about 50c from a shop.
    Vodka/whiskey bucket - can't be too specific here as I live in Hanoi and have never seen buckets being sold! But in Mui Ne we paid around $8-10.
    Bottle of vodka/sangsom - Vodka Hanoi is about $2.50 for a 75cl bottle and around $1.50 for a small bottle
    Rice/noodle dish - on the street, between 75cents and $1.50. In a cheap basic restaurant around $1.50 - $2.
    Average beach hut accomodation - nothing fancy like aircon - I've only seen beach hut type places in Mui Ne and they were about $10.
    City guesthouse - again nothing fancy - it so depends on your requirements. I'd say you can get something reasonable for $15 but you can also get cheaper, basic, places and for a little bit more can get a lot for your money.

Overall, when travelling last year, we stayed in reasonable places, ate well and drank a lot of beer and spent around $50-60 between the two of us per day in each of the countries you list (definitely the lower end of that spectrum Laos and higher in Cambodia - but we only went to PP and SR).

#2 Posted: 6/9/2010 - 14:25

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

Thanks alot Sarah, thats what I was looking for. $2.50 a bottle of vodka - dangerous! I hear those bia hoi places are really cheap too.

If anyone has any other info on the other countries that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

#3 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 02:32

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

That's from a shop or a local street place - it'd be more in a karaoke bar or somewhere like that. Yup bia hoi is around 4,000 VND a glass (20 cents). You can get a lot of those for your daily budget!

#4 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 11:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.