Finance and money forum

6 months in south east asia

• walshie89

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010

Hi guys,

I have been reading this website almost non-stop but this is the first time I have ever posted anything, so please be nice! Sorry if there is already another thread like this but I couldn't locate one if there is....

Basically me and a friend are planning on going out to S.E.A. for 6 months at the end of January next year. We want to do 2 months in Thailand, 1 month in Laos, 1 month in Vietnam, a week in Malaysia before a final month in Indonesia. We would then head back to Bangkok before flying home. We have already bought our outward flight and our travel insurance, what I would like to know is on a budget of £5500 will it be likely that I run out of money???

If I take £1200 out of that total for a return flight and other travel when we are away that would leave £4300 which would equal around £23-£24 a day. Do you see that as do-able? We are both quite outgoing and would like to have a party (not every day, but a couple of times a week) and don't mind staying in less exotic places.

Sorry if its a bit long winded but if anyone can help I would be most greatful, as I have just started to have a bit of a panic about it!!

Cheers guys!

#1 Posted: 6/9/2010 - 22:13

• Advertisement

• glenton

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

Hi,

I pretty much doing an identical trip though probably leaving in March. I was planning to have a similar amount to that. I have £4000 so far, and i am going to sell my car to pay for flights and insurance.

From what i've read so far it sounds like it should be enough, but would be interesting to hear if anyone else has a more certain idea.

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 05:50

• rosie24nurse

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2011

I have a similar trip planned starting nov 2011. I am going to india for a month first and less thailand than yourself. I spent a month in thailand last year and working off what i spent last time your budget should be fine- as long as there are no big problems/ expenses when you are there.
    I spent £20-25 a day and drank alcohol most days, stayed in hostels and even took a couple of internal flights.

#3 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 10:12

• leeroberts66

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2011

Hey rosie24nurse. Im thinking of doing the same thing. Nov 17th. Flying into Mumbai, then getting the train mostly down then a flight up to Darjeeling and across to the Ganges. I was then thinking of moving on most probably Vietnam and then down... Cambodia (I went there two years ago, I love it!). Eventually Im looking at teaching after a few months of travel in S.Korea. When are you leaving? Im meant to be travelling with a friend, but they are not sure now ... so a tad nervous about travelling alone ... but I will be fine. Whats you itinerary for India?

#4 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 00:59

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I think that is about $38 dollars a day and I find it tight for a single person. If you are always sharing a room then it helps. It is doable but it limits your options. You may sometimes want a better room. You may want the option of better travel accommodation. You may want to do more things than eat and sleep. If you split a 600 baht room so thats about $10 a person. Then there is food. Budget $10 for that. ($300 baht give or take.) You WILL eventually want familiar things. You want the option of hitting the convenience store here and there for comfort junk. On a 6 month trip this is important. That leaves $15 -20. You may want more local travel or party money. You will want to buy "stuff". You have travel costs from one major location to the next. People who shop and home shop abroad. People who don't budget at home sometimes struggle to stay in a budget on the road. You have to wash clothes and you will have unexpected costs.
    People will say how they did this or that cheaper but remember..it is options. More money, more options. Stay a month less or add $1000 of comfort money. What you don't spend you have later. It will take you a month to get comfortable on a budget.

#5 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 01:58

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

This budget is for one person right?

It's too early to book your return flights yet as you're coming back over a year from now in June 2012, but right now it looks like you should easily be able to get a return flight for well under 1,200 pounds. Check out the London to Bangkok fare segment for January 2012 on a full service airline like Malaysian Airlines for example. You may well have an extra 600+ quid to play with if you play your cards right! :-)

I think you'll be fine as long as the pound exchange rate doesn't plummet. If you can share a room with your friend that will save a lot of money, but even (worse case scenario) if you fall out and decide to split up and go separate ways it should be enough. Your itinerary seems sound enough ... you're making full use of the visa fees and not rushing too much.

#6 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 03:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
12 months in South East Asia ... By amieekb on 9 Sep 2013 8 874 10 Sep 2013
South East Asia for 4-5 months ... By brandonjames123 on 19 Jun 2013 4 1259 10 Jul 2013
3 months South-East Asia ... By pimvanhees on 27 Nov 2011 2 2555 28 Nov 2011
5 months in south east asia, what to do first????? ... By eoinfitz on 27 Jun 2006 1 3681 27 Jun 2006
5-6 Months in South East Asia. Is £5000 Enough? ... By Mangala on 25 Apr 2009 6 19191 15 Dec 2009
7 Months in South East Asia itinerairy help ... By keentraveller12 on 9 Aug 2013 4 781 9 Aug 2013
is 6 months in south east asia too long?? ... By g_singh on 3 Jul 2007 17 6124 27 Aug 2007
4 months backpacking in South-East Asia ... By Suleika on 31 May 2013 1 1525 1 Jun 2013
6 months in south east asia. Budget question. ... By moss_11 on 8 Aug 2013 9 3380 13 Aug 2013
South East Asia 17th October for 3 months - 18/m/uk ... By brg93 on 27 Jun 2012 6 1174 1 Aug 2012