Finance and money forum

Another cash question

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Here in Australia our dollar is very strong and it is a good time to buy US dollars. I'll be up in the big city soon and want to do so.

I am wondering how much would you take per month in the countries covered by TF?

I'll get US$1000 minimum. How would you break that down? X amount of $100, $20, $10 notes
    and some $1 notes for when you first arrive.

And nice clean unmarked post 2003 notes I think?

#1 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 17:19

• Advertisement

• siddy

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010

I would get mainly 100's and 50's, but also a lot of $1. use the $1 for spending and 100's and 50's for exchanging or paying for accomo (ega weeks accomo = 100).

But im not sure if USD is as popular as it once was. Its doing quite badly agains asia, and Australia. You might be better off bring AUD's and buying the national currency in house. (eg Baht, Dong).

When converting currency and getting change in another country, dont accept anything but near-new notes. Crinkled or slightly torn notes and coins are useless, except for spending in the country they came from.

#2 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 06:32

• 5acrefarmer

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks Siddy. I ended up getting US$2000 mainly in $100 but some $20 and $10. All new and in great condition. Might get a pile of $1 later.

#3 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 18:21

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

the pile of $1's will come in handy mostly in cambodia. otherwise, just like siddy says, you'll be best off with 100's or possibly 50's, because you get a better exchange rate for the larger bills than you do for the smaller bills. i always like to have a few 10's and 20's to pay for things like visa on arrival (in Laos, for example), or if i need to get just a little bit more of a local currency right before leaving a country.

by the way, 5acre, your photo looks very very serious. cheers.

#4 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 06:42

• 5acrefarmer

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia

My photos often gets a reaction! I ain't that serious fortunately. Photo taken near Arizona/Mexico border back in 1996. It'll stay my face on the net!

I just need some $1 notes and I'll be set.

#5 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 08:06

• geekgirlk8te

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011

Hi all, I am heading off to Thailand soon and looking to take some THB. According to bestexchangerates.net/AUD/THB the best rate I can get here in Australia is around 29.59 (14 Nov 11).

Can anyone in Thailand tell me if I am better off bringing AUD cash with me and exchanging up there?

The other option is just to use my credit card I guess?
    thx
    k8te

#6 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 01:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.