Finance and money forum

nationwide bank account

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

hello all.
    ive read on these forums of folk saying if you are from the uk and traveling in s.e.a. to get a nationwide banjk account as they dont charge any fees for lifting out cash abroad.

the thing is,i was talking with a friend today who says they have stopped it on ther accounts and basicly there rates are just as high as any other bank.

was just wondering what if any other folk have heard about this and if they know of any other bank who does a simular account.

#1 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 23:51

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

We opened our Nationwide account last June, just before we left the UK. Prior to that they were offering fee free withdrawals abroad but they put it up to 1% just before we opened the account. This was still lower than the fee charged by other banks - usually 2%. To be honest, I'm not sure what we're paying now but we've received no notification that it has increased. Best to check on their website www.nationwide.co.uk or email them directly.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 08:23

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

im not 100% on this travellingsarah but i think its 2.7% you are paying now.
    i guess i will just stick with the rbs,maybe not the best but the royaltes account givs free travel insurance,works out even cheaper than the post office travel insurance.

#3 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 06:06

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

I've attached a link to a BBC news story about the end of free foreign withdrawals with Nationwide...
    It gives you all of the basic info regarding the changes to their Flexaccount...
    I'll be closing my account with them anyhow!!!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11344048

I've mentioned this before, but if you're from the UK, it may be worth having a look at the Halifax Clarity credit card. This has no charges other than the interest for the cash you withdraw... It is a Mastercard however...

#4 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 16:14

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks for the info! Looks like it'll be going up to 2% on November 1st from the article. I wonder if they'll let me know??! I don't have much choice now as I live in Hanoi so can't change banks - and fortunately I have a local account so don't need to use it much anymore.

#5 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 09:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai bank account ... By littletimmy on 29 Sep 2012 2 1360 29 Sep 2012
Opening a Bank Account ... By Moonbear on 19 Mar 2011 6 3259 21 Mar 2011