Finance and money forum

My payal was hacked - be careful with internet/passwords

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Greetings!

The past few days have been very stressful as my paypal account was hacked and a purchase of around $400 was made to a (legitimate) Chinese online shopping website.

Because I spend too much time on my computer, I noticed the charge as soon as it happened and reported it before the website shipped the product. For the record, in the event that the website had shipped the product, I still wouldn't have been held responsible.

Anyway, just be careful when using your passwords in dodgy internet cafes and using your credit cards online here (eg. making credit card transactions over unsecure WIFI connections). I would suggest changing your password often and don't use the same password for all of your accounts!

Hats off to Paypal as they handled the situation quickly and resolved hte matter in only three days.

I think I'm going to get identity theft insurance. For expats who travel SE Asia often and live around the world, it's probably worth it.

Happy travels!

#1 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 12:12

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

matt,

sorry to hear about the stress but glad it turned out okay.

you are actually in Cambodia right now aren't you? any suggestions if all we have available are shared computers on internet cafes? did PayPayl give you any tips on how to clear the cache or other steps that would prevent account numbers and passwords from being surfed?

#2 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 20:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.