Finance and money forum

How long will it last

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Hi all. Long time reader first time poster, in late stages of finalizing a trip to the SEA region ASAP.

Ok originally this was intended to be a 2 year odyssey but due to unforseen circumstances the original budget goal hasn't come to fruition and i dont want to wait any longer, i need to get away and have a holiday. i havent given up on the hope of spending 12 + mths away but am pretty much confined to SEA ( which mind you is not a bad thing) over the last 18 mths i have saved AU $15000, now taking out pre trip costs and flights / insurance ect, i will have between 10-12000 to last this trip. Im wondering how long will that last me as a very budget minded backpacker.

I want to fly into Hanoi in late January before heading South through Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Indonesia before flying home from Bali, visiting the usual sites, beaches, islands ect, staying as budget as possible, eating street food or cooking my own, As much overland as possible.

So im after any advice on how long will my funds last under the above circumstances.

I can go into more detail here if needed so just ask but i also have a ton of other questions i want to ask in their respective forums.

Thanking you in advance, Chris

#1 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 13:43

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

well if you got about 12000 left (to me that's about 8500 €) it would last me about 8-9 months probably.
    Though I'm not always going for budget, do like to stay at a fancy hotel sometimes.
    It all depends on what you want to do, if you really are into partying a lot and stuff.

You can go for +12 months for sure if you really take care of your budget and don't go out partying everyday and eating at restaurants.
    Street food will help you a lot to save you some cash. also check out the g-houses on the site here, most of them are really good and not too pricey.

Also while you're travelling, staying at 1 place for about 2 months will cost you less then travelling for 2 months. everything gets cheaper if you stay in certain place. just a tip for when you have time enough

#2 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 15:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.