Finance and money forum

8 weeks on 50,000 baht

• mrk12a

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2010

Does anyone know if this is possible? Staying in budget accom and eating cheap food?

p.s this would be for thailand, loas and cambodia. between march 21st and may 12th

#1 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 22:20

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

That's less than 900 baht per day, but I think it is still possible. I'm a flashpacker with an average daily budget of 1200-1300 baht or so, and the more I think about it, the more I see where I could cut 300 baht per day from my expenses. I just wouldn't necessarily want to.

Ask yourself if you'd be happier staying as long as possible on a shoestring budget, or if you'd prefer a shorter time, like six weeks, with a bit more money for activities, better food and stuff like that. How important to you are things like tours and massages and gifts for the folks back home and a night out with a few drinks?

You can save quite a bit by avoiding major tourist areas and staying in off-the-beaten-track places like Kamphaeng Phet or Mukdahan or Sangkhom or Trat (in Thailand, for example) and by not moving around too much to save on transportation costs. Visas for Laos and Cambodia are expensive too in the $35 or so range and even a one-day permit to Angkor Wat is $20.

Assuming you are flying in and out of Bangkok, you might consider visiting just Thailand and one other country to cut down on visa and travel expenses. I'm also guessing that the 50K baht doesn't including your airfare to/from SEA.

What types of things do you like to do by the way and what sort of experience are you seeking?

So anyway, yes, you could certainly do it and with room at say 300 baht per day and food in the 150-200 baht per day range, you'd still have some extra money to do a few fun things too and even for the occassional splash out. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 03:54

• mrk12a

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2010

Hi thanks for your reply. Looking into it 50,00 baht is not enough for what i want to do. I think i may up my budget to 75,000 baht - 100,000. Thinking of trying to live on 1000 baht a day excluding travel expensis would be more like it. The trouble is i want to do the full moon party and angkor wat which would make the budget unreasonable. I can afford that extra 50,000 baht so i may just have to use it. It may be the only time i visit this part of asia so i might as well spend.

#3 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 04:09

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

if you've got the money available, all the better. maybe you won't need to use it and can stay within that 50K baht. but if you do need the cash, it will be there for you. ta.

#4 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 04:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Another way to save money is to not move around too much. Pick a couple of key destinations and spend 'quality time visiting there. Each time you move on you have the additional transport costs (including tuktuks to/from bus stations, etc). Also, by basing yourself in one location for longer, you have the power of negotiation when organising accom. I would often ask how much for a night, then ask if they would consider a discount for staying longer. I usually got it (except maybe during peak time).

#5 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 07:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
65 000 baht 6-8 weeks ... By Kennethlarsen on 25 Feb 2011 1 2214 25 Feb 2011