Finance and money forum

Budget for India and South East Asia

• michaelharw-
    ood

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

Hi everyone!

Me and my partner have recently decided to save for a long trip around India and South East Asia (approximately 10-12 months), and wandered if anyone had some advice on how much we will need for each place.

We are currently planning;

India - 3 months
    Bangladesh - 1 month
    Laos - 3 weeks
    Vietnam - 1 month
    Cambodia - 3 weeks
    Thailand - 2 months
    Malaysia - 1 month
    Indonesia - 2 months
    Singapore - 1 week

We were also thinking about maybe hoping over to AUS for 6-12 months for some travelling and working, anyone got ideas on this at all? What we are most worried about is finding work, I work in advertising and my partner works in retail management!!

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated :D

#1 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 20:49

• Advertisement

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I can only help with the SE Asia bit but my partner and I did pretty much the same trip as your planning there and we lived quite comfortably on £40 a day for the both of us. We stayed in backpacker places (but not the cheapest, we usually still had our own bathroom) and we didn't hold back on anything we wanted to do.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 00:50

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

All countries listed are cheap (with exception of Singapore and Malaysia).

I agree with steve that 40 pounds or roughly $60 should enable you to do all things you want to do. That excludes your main flights and insurance though.
    That $60-80 range gives you far more freedom to do things. There will be plenty of days where you can get by on far less and that saved money you can spend on a splurge weekend by the beach or so. You also should keep in mind visa costs and local transport but that can be easily covered with a budget like that.

Personally I wouldn't go much lower than that because then everything will start to revolve around saving money and it might distract from the things you really came for.
    If you haven't saved enough I'd go for a shorter trip and stick to the budget rather than stretching the money.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 14:29

• michaelharw-
    ood

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

Thanks for the help, it has put our minds at rest :D

We were thinking of saving at least £20,000 for everything between us over the next 2 years leaving Dec 2012, inc. flights, insurance etc... so hopefully this will cover all of our costs, and obviously will be taking a credit card as back up!!

If there were countries not to bother with on our list, or to shorten/lengthen, where would people suggest??

Thanks again!!

#4 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 17:27

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's hard to tell. I've been to all countries bar Bangladesh but it mostly depends on your own interest.

In general as a rough outline it looks fine. Since you have still 2 years to go I wouldn't worry about it now. A lot can happen in between. Stay flexible, even while travelling

I hated India so I won't comment on that. Personally I would do less Laos (1 week less), less Malaysia (2 weeks), less Cambodia (1 week), less Singapore (reduce to 2 days)
    You can still see the highlights without rushing it and then you have time to visit Myanmar (1 month).

Coming from India and Bangladesh you will see the slow transition in cultures if you visit Myanmar as well. Besides being a gorgeous country it will give you a more complete impression of the whole region.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 13:16

• forum2233

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012

I totally disagree with these responses. First of all these countries have drastically different costs depending on the place where you are. In Vietnam and Cambodia you can get an air conditioned private room completely renovated and nice for 15 USD/night. In Bangkok or Manila, for this money you get a run-down fan room with a dirty mattress. But for 30 USD you can get the same quality in Bangkok or Manila. I was in Asia for 5 months and felt that 40 USD/day was spending a lot. If you're willing to be smart and go local sometimes 30-40 USD/day is more than enough, so I don't know what you people are talking about. 60 USD would be total luxury for me.

#6 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 15:04

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

That's $60/day for two people. Of course, this discussion was over a year and half ago, so prices will be changing anyhow.

#7 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 15:59

• truecompani-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2012
    Location India

Yes, at least for India you should consider about USD 60 per day for accommodation, food and internal travel. It works out to be Rs.3000/- per day. You should plan long distance over night journeys by train or AC Volvo buses to save on accommodation cost and if you plan well you can save at least 30 days cost towards accommodation out of 3 month travel. Don't travel by sleeper class in Indian trains as they are over crowded and the risk of theft is always there. Travel by at least AC Chair Car or #A ( Three Tier AC Class which is reasonably priced.) You need to book your train tickets in advance and now it can be done 90 days in advance). Select home stay facility at Rs. 1000-1500 per night with families in metro cities as decent budget hotels will cost up ward Rs.3000/- per night. Avoid very cheap hotels and sleazy areas. Can assist you further once you have finalized India itinerary in detail.

#8 Posted: 14/10/2012 - 08:24

• manonl13

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Hey Mate.
    I just got back from 2 months in India, on this note, not nearly long enough. I spent roughly 10 dollars a day, not including what I spent on beer, charras, and buses/train. Everything is cheap there is you don't eat in fancy tourist restaurants and are willing to look around for cheapest deal. 3,000 rupees? Enough to last me a long time.

#9 Posted: 20/11/2012 - 16:10

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Yeah, 3000 rupees a day? C'mon man. I spend way less than that at home!

In Delhi I pay 2.5 dollars for my bed (Paharganj). In McLeod Ganj slightly less (homestay in a beautiful valley), around 2 dollars.

Breakfast in the street (2-egg omelete with onions, herbs and toast), 35 cents.

4 momos (dumplings) in the street, 18 cents.

Train travel from Delhi to Goa, around 9 dollars.

#10 Posted: 26/11/2012 - 05:27

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Daily Budget in South East Asia ... By katieflorence on 23 Oct 2009 3 7574 27 Oct 2009
6 months in south east asia. Budget question. ... By moss_11 on 8 Aug 2013 11 5955 10 Aug 2014
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1359 11 Nov 2012
South East Asia-going alone?? ... By bbtomlin on 29 Aug 2014 5 561 2 Sep 2014
How far will 7000AUS go in south east asia? ... By natasia1 on 22 Sep 2013 1 620 22 Sep 2013
Teaching in South East Asia ... By samsie23 on 1 Nov 2010 11 4351 26 Aug 2011
Working in South East Asia ... By sarah7196 on 14 Apr 2011 3 3613 20 Apr 2011
Any issues being Gay in South East Asia? ... By AlexBCN on 27 Mar 2010 11 12310 1 Sep 2012
Is USD still best currency for south east asia? ... By siddy on 22 Oct 2010 4 6506 22 Oct 2010
Where can i go fishing in South East Asia? ... By Tomhamish on 28 Apr 2011 3 4056 9 May 2011