Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Budget for India and South East Asia

Posted by michaelharwood on 20/1/2011 at 20:49

Hi everyone!

Me and my partner have recently decided to save for a long trip around India and South East Asia (approximately 10-12 months), and wandered if anyone had some advice on how much we will need for each place.

We are currently planning;

India - 3 months
Bangladesh - 1 month
Laos - 3 weeks
Vietnam - 1 month
Cambodia - 3 weeks
Thailand - 2 months
Malaysia - 1 month
Indonesia - 2 months
Singapore - 1 week

We were also thinking about maybe hoping over to AUS for 6-12 months for some travelling and working, anyone got ideas on this at all? What we are most worried about is finding work, I work in advertising and my partner works in retail management!!

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated :D

#1 michaelharwood has been a member since 20/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by stevejames00 on 21/1/2011 at 00:50

I can only help with the SE Asia bit but my partner and I did pretty much the same trip as your planning there and we lived quite comfortably on £40 a day for the both of us. We stayed in backpacker places (but not the cheapest, we usually still had our own bathroom) and we didn't hold back on anything we wanted to do.

#2 stevejames00 has been a member since 29/1/2009. Posts: 53
 Twitter 

Posted by eastwest on 21/1/2011 at 14:29

All countries listed are cheap (with exception of Singapore and Malaysia).

I agree with steve that 40 pounds or roughly $60 should enable you to do all things you want to do. That excludes your main flights and insurance though.
That $60-80 range gives you far more freedom to do things. There will be plenty of days where you can get by on far less and that saved money you can spend on a splurge weekend by the beach or so. You also should keep in mind visa costs and local transport but that can be easily covered with a budget like that.

Personally I wouldn't go much lower than that because then everything will start to revolve around saving money and it might distract from the things you really came for.
If you haven't saved enough I'd go for a shorter trip and stick to the budget rather than stretching the money.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by michaelharwood on 21/1/2011 at 17:27

Thanks for the help, it has put our minds at rest :D

We were thinking of saving at least £20,000 for everything between us over the next 2 years leaving Dec 2012, inc. flights, insurance etc... so hopefully this will cover all of our costs, and obviously will be taking a credit card as back up!!

If there were countries not to bother with on our list, or to shorten/lengthen, where would people suggest??

Thanks again!!

#4 michaelharwood has been a member since 20/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by eastwest on 22/1/2011 at 13:16

It's hard to tell. I've been to all countries bar Bangladesh but it mostly depends on your own interest.

In general as a rough outline it looks fine. Since you have still 2 years to go I wouldn't worry about it now. A lot can happen in between. Stay flexible, even while travelling

I hated India so I won't comment on that. Personally I would do less Laos (1 week less), less Malaysia (2 weeks), less Cambodia (1 week), less Singapore (reduce to 2 days)
You can still see the highlights without rushing it and then you have time to visit Myanmar (1 month).

Coming from India and Bangladesh you will see the slow transition in cultures if you visit Myanmar as well. Besides being a gorgeous country it will give you a more complete impression of the whole region.

#5 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by forum2233 on 13/10/2012 at 15:04

I totally disagree with these responses. First of all these countries have drastically different costs depending on the place where you are. In Vietnam and Cambodia you can get an air conditioned private room completely renovated and nice for 15 USD/night. In Bangkok or Manila, for this money you get a run-down fan room with a dirty mattress. But for 30 USD you can get the same quality in Bangkok or Manila. I was in Asia for 5 months and felt that 40 USD/day was spending a lot. If you're willing to be smart and go local sometimes 30-40 USD/day is more than enough, so I don't know what you people are talking about. 60 USD would be total luxury for me.

#6 forum2233 has been a member since 13/10/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by busylizzy on 13/10/2012 at 15:59

That's $60/day for two people. Of course, this discussion was over a year and half ago, so prices will be changing anyhow.

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by truecompanion on 14/10/2012 at 08:24

Yes, at least for India you should consider about USD 60 per day for accommodation, food and internal travel. It works out to be Rs.3000/- per day. You should plan long distance over night journeys by train or AC Volvo buses to save on accommodation cost and if you plan well you can save at least 30 days cost towards accommodation out of 3 month travel. Don't travel by sleeper class in Indian trains as they are over crowded and the risk of theft is always there. Travel by at least AC Chair Car or #A ( Three Tier AC Class which is reasonably priced.) You need to book your train tickets in advance and now it can be done 90 days in advance). Select home stay facility at Rs. 1000-1500 per night with families in metro cities as decent budget hotels will cost up ward Rs.3000/- per night. Avoid very cheap hotels and sleazy areas. Can assist you further once you have finalized India itinerary in detail.

#8 truecompanion has been a member since 30/1/2012. Location: India. Posts: 6

Posted by manonl13 on 20/11/2012 at 16:10

Hey Mate.
I just got back from 2 months in India, on this note, not nearly long enough. I spent roughly 10 dollars a day, not including what I spent on beer, charras, and buses/train. Everything is cheap there is you don't eat in fancy tourist restaurants and are willing to look around for cheapest deal. 3,000 rupees? Enough to last me a long time.

#9 manonl13 has been a member since 20/11/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by waytogo on 26/11/2012 at 05:27

Yeah, 3000 rupees a day? C'mon man. I spend way less than that at home!

In Delhi I pay 2.5 dollars for my bed (Paharganj). In McLeod Ganj slightly less (homestay in a beautiful valley), around 2 dollars.

Breakfast in the street (2-egg omelete with onions, herbs and toast), 35 cents.

4 momos (dumplings) in the street, 18 cents.

Train travel from Delhi to Goa, around 9 dollars.

#10 waytogo has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 25

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.