Finance and money forum

Budget concerns!

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Myself and my girlfriend will be spending just under 7 months in SE asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia) which is 27 weeks in total.

We will have €12,000 to live on over there for that duration. This works out at €444 per week(£375) or €63 per day(£53)

Are we cutting this a little thin? We don't drink alot...maybe once every 2 weeks. We don't mind staying in backpackers places as long as we have our own private room, but we would like to do some sights etc.

I know some day we will not spend our daily budget and other days will go over it, but in general it will even out.

I would just like to be sure that we will have enough to be able to get along nicely for the duration of our trip?

Any help will be much appreciated folks.

#1 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 01:38

• Advertisement

• sholafish

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2010

Me and my girlfriend are budgeting on 25 pounds a day each so pretty much the same. This seems perfectly possible in vietnam and cambodia, perhaps less easy in Bangkok, but then in Laos, (and northern Thailand), it seems to be particularly cheap so you can even it up there. I think your budget will probably end up being spot on, at least I hope so as it's the same budget as mine!

#2 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 07:27

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That looks fine.

In general a hotel room like that is roughly $10 and food (+water and soft drinks) around $10 each.
    That will leave you with $50 per day to cover travel, excursions, visa and so on. During 7 months you won't be on the move everytime so you'll save money during times you stay put in a place for some time.
    As mentioned above prices vary from place to place so pick a good spot to "save up" if your spending gets out of hand.

#3 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 10:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.