Finance and money forum

Living in SEA for 2 months

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this, really, so I post it here.

After traveling to Thailand in about a months time, we are now seriously thinking of spending July and August of this year in SEA. That is, we would like to rent a flat or a house for 2 months (we will have to do some work, so internet is quite important). We figured since we won't have a flat during this time here in europe anyway, we could just as well go to SEA.
    My question now is, we are hoping to spend less during these two months than we spend in Europe (which is around 1200 Euros a month - all included)

We are completely open to where to stay in SEA -- can anyone advice us which would be the places to stay (in our budget range)?

We'd also REALLY apprechiate any advice on how to find such places that rent out flats/houses/rooms on a monthly basis.

Thanks so much,
    travelinchen

#1 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 20:45

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

You probably have to look at Laos, Thailand, Cambodia or Indonesia. In terms of cost these countries are similar and with your budget you could manage. Vietnam is also possible but my experience is that house owners there want large deposits and minimum of 6 months or so.

You can find a lot on internet but not in your price range. No need to worry though. The best way is to ask around and find a house through contacts. Let it be known to a lot of people and something will show up. I would advise to get immediately a local phone (and SIM card) and have some business cards printed so people can reach you if they find something.

The internet connection makes it slightly harder since most locals who rent out their house for $100-300 (which I assume is your range) don't have it yet. But if you go to a tourist destination you should find plenty of internet shops or WiFi spots.

As for areas to stay: That depends completely on your interests. City? Mountain? Sea? Jungle? Architecture? Countryside?

#2 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 21:38

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Well, I think up to 500 USD would be ok if it includes the bills.
    I' not really too bothered about the area, but it should have some infrastructure.

#3 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 21:54

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Thing is, we really have to find a place beforehand. If we're talking Thailand, then we'll probably be able to have a look at the place in March. But I really couldn't find any decent webpages that accounce flats or houses :(

#4 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 21:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

There are tons of apartments in just about every province in Thailand for less than 100 Euros a month. The only thing is most want to rent for 3 months or more. But in that case, just negotiate with the owner a slightly higher price for two months. If they want 3,000 baht a month and you offer 4,000 - they'll probably go for it. I live in Mukdahan, and can check a place out for you if you would like. I know of one in particular that's pretty nice that goes for 4,000 baht a month.

#5 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 23:36

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I agree with Mac. Same situation here in Cambodia.

Only thing is that those places are in general not advertised on internet. And if they are, the real estate broker has added a nice commission for himself and that place has come out of your range.
    In your price range you have to get it through contacts and do not rely on internet. Consider Mac's offer I'd say.

#6 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 16:33

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I know of a pretty nice place 2 blocks from the Kaysone Phomivhone Museum in Vientiane with Air, kitchen, etc. It's pretty nice, considered very high rent by locals but probably way within your budget. Maybe email me at yourfence at gmail dot com if you're interested.

It's around GN 231 on map
    http://hobomaps.com/VientianeRegionMap.html

#7 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 06:22

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Hy,

thanks so much everyone for your replies and even offers! Wow, you're such a nice community here. :)
    While I'd be pretty much indifferent about what kind of area we stay in, my boyfriend now came to the conclusion that he only wants to go to a few places (or places similar to these):
    Ko Tao, Ko Phangan, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Hanoi, maybe also Ho Chi Min City or Vientiane and other islands with beaches would be ok too.

Our budget is 450 USD for the flat per month (bills included), which we are perfectly happy to spend to get a rather get a more "luxurous" place.

I wrote to many places I could find on the internet whether they have something in this price range, but hardly got back any emails. I guess you're just totally right about having to have personal contacts to these places -- which sadly I don't have yet.

Maybe it makes sense I post the requests in the individual country or city forums? Maybe someone knows someone..

#8 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 17:23

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Posting in individual country would help but I don't think it will help that much. The majority of people on this site are travellers and are not that well informed about apartments in this region.

Try to find forums/sites for expats in the places you've mentioned. There are plenty of them. Posting questions there would be far more useful. You may even find an expat who's looking for a house-sitter or so.

#9 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 18:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I know a lady who owns a resort in Koh Samui... she's a class act. Might be able to help you out there. Let me know if you want me to pursue it.

#10 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 22:29

• Advertisement

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Hey guys, thanks so much for your help! You're the best!

Yes, Madmac, I'd be interested. I wasn't thinking about Ko Samui, but with a good offer, we might have a look at the island

#11 Posted: 2/2/2011 - 18:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Let me track her down.

#12 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 15:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Living in Luang Prabang for 2-3 months ... By placeshifter on 26 Jul 2010 27 5515 10 Oct 2011