Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

MONEY WORRIES WHILST TRAVELLING!!

Posted by potta_boro on 3/5/2011 at 04:53

Hey Basically i would really like to no a rough estimate on how much money in GB£ i would need for between 8-10 weeks travelling through Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, I plan on staying in pretty average Guesthouses/Hostels and not splashing the cash on foods (expensive restaurants) but also i want to do a few activities along the way eg. Trekking with elephants.

Appreciate it people.
Mick 23.Male

#1 potta_boro has been a member since 3/5/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 56
 Twitter 

Posted by rledez1990 on 3/5/2011 at 19:48

Obviously everyone spends differently but I know when I was researching my trip I wanted someone to tell me numbers so I tell you what I spent when I travelled Thailand and Malaysia last May-July. My money went approximately like this:
*A/C double room £10-£14 a night (differs by location)
*Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner £6 (if eating all Thai food)
*Snacks and water £2
*Some kind of souvenier (i like shopping!) £3
*Internet for an hour somewhere £1
So thats about £21 a day on the basics, or roughly £150 a week. Then you need to factor in how much excess money you're going to spend per week in terms of 'day trips' and travelling- we did maybe 2 trips a week across the three months and they ranged from £10-£20 each usually, plus maybe £10-£20 a week on travel depending on the distance. So that worked out for me roughly £200 a week...and i don't drink!

Saying that, I'm sure everything can be done much more cheaply and some of the most serious, experienced backpackers on here might be able to tell you a better budget for that kind of thing. You can save a lot of money if you settle for fan rather than aircon rooms, but I can't tell you how much that would cost because after one night of it in the hot and humid rainy season I stuck strictly to air-con!

Hope this helps!

#2 rledez1990 has been a member since 12/3/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 106
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.