Finance and money forum

MONEY WORRIES WHILST TRAVELLING!!

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Basically i would really like to no a rough estimate on how much money in GB£ i would need for between 8-10 weeks travelling through Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, I plan on staying in pretty average Guesthouses/Hostels and not splashing the cash on foods (expensive restaurants) but also i want to do a few activities along the way eg. Trekking with elephants.

Appreciate it people.
    Mick 23.Male

#1 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 04:53

• Advertisement

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Obviously everyone spends differently but I know when I was researching my trip I wanted someone to tell me numbers so I tell you what I spent when I travelled Thailand and Malaysia last May-July. My money went approximately like this:
    *A/C double room £10-£14 a night (differs by location)
    *Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner £6 (if eating all Thai food)
    *Snacks and water £2
    *Some kind of souvenier (i like shopping!) £3
    *Internet for an hour somewhere £1
    So thats about £21 a day on the basics, or roughly £150 a week. Then you need to factor in how much excess money you're going to spend per week in terms of 'day trips' and travelling- we did maybe 2 trips a week across the three months and they ranged from £10-£20 each usually, plus maybe £10-£20 a week on travel depending on the distance. So that worked out for me roughly £200 a week...and i don't drink!

Saying that, I'm sure everything can be done much more cheaply and some of the most serious, experienced backpackers on here might be able to tell you a better budget for that kind of thing. You can save a lot of money if you settle for fan rather than aircon rooms, but I can't tell you how much that would cost because after one night of it in the hot and humid rainy season I stuck strictly to air-con!

Hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 19:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Money worries in Thailand ? ... By henricartier on 16 Mar 2008 7 2339 18 Mar 2008
Money worries thailand ... By jeffuk on 8 Oct 2009 6 2837 14 Oct 2009
Weight loss/gain whilst travelling ... By luce_uk on 16 Jan 2010 24 17841 23 Sep 2014
Ladies...would you want cheap beauty treatments whilst travelling? ... By char86 on 7 Jun 2013 7 2077 29 Sep 2014