Finance and money forum

Best Irish prepaid Travel Card for Asia

• helz26

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2011

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Asia in August, travelling around Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.

I want to get a prepaid travel money card from Ireland that I can load money on but has no fees to withdraw money.
    Does anyone know of a prepaid card that is good or alternatively a mastercard that they found easy and cheap to use in Asia?

I'm really stuck on this one so any help would be brilliant. There available for US and UK but I cant find one for Ireland.

Cheers
    Helz

#1 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 22:46

• Advertisement

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Hey,

Fellow countryman here heading off next month to asia travelling as well! Basically what I'm going to do(which is the cheapest option we have) is to put money into current account and using online banking to transfer money onto credit card and withdraw as needed. The fees for this are alot less that withdrawing from your atm/laser card...ive done the research, and talked to the banks.

Im with BOI and they are also the cheapest I've found to go with the above option.

How long are you going for? We are going for nearly 7 months, so we needed to get the least expensive option possible.

#2 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 04:07

• helz26

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2011

Hey,

That's great thanks...I had heard that BOI did the best rates from ireland so I think I'll go with that. I just wanted to cut out expensive fees.
    My boyfriend has a prepaid card from the UK and there is no fees. I don't think there are any of those type cards in Ireland.

Were going for 3/4 months in Asia, travelling around Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia then flying from Singapore to Melbourne - hoping to work and travel around Oz then.

We will be on a budget so need to keep costs down too. How long are you going for?

#3 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 19:25

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

yeah there are no prepaid cards like that in Ireland.

We are going for just under 7 months. Plan to head to Melbourne as well half way through for a 3 week road trip in a campervan :)

Really looking forward to the trip :)

#4 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 22:53

• zaccolbert

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2011

When I was in northern Ireland i used my UK prepaid card and it worked fine, but maybe you're going all around Ireland? I'd suggest calling up the card company you're looking of going with and asking them directly. Either way, have a great trip!

#5 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 17:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Good PrePaid Card, Credit card or Debit Card (from UK)...? ... By lukusmaca on 28 May 2013 5 3584 19 Nov 2013
Prepaid Visas vs. Debit card vs. travellers cheques which is best? ... By gocartmozart on 21 Feb 2013 5 3423 22 Feb 2013
Using a travel money card while travelling round Asia ... By siquick on 7 Mar 2011 0 3505 7 Mar 2011
26yo Irish male in SE Asia 20 Dec-20Jan ... By ka88 on 18 Oct 2010 0 1427 18 Oct 2010
2 Irish girls in SE Asia Summer 2010 ... By kazmurph88 on 11 May 2010 4 2908 30 Jun 2010