Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Best Irish prepaid Travel Card for Asia

Posted by helz26 on 21/5/2011 at 22:46

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Asia in August, travelling around Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.

I want to get a prepaid travel money card from Ireland that I can load money on but has no fees to withdraw money.
Does anyone know of a prepaid card that is good or alternatively a mastercard that they found easy and cheap to use in Asia?

I'm really stuck on this one so any help would be brilliant. There available for US and UK but I cant find one for Ireland.

Cheers
Helz

#1 helz26 has been a member since 29/3/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by chicoelnino on 22/5/2011 at 04:07

Hey,

Fellow countryman here heading off next month to asia travelling as well! Basically what I'm going to do(which is the cheapest option we have) is to put money into current account and using online banking to transfer money onto credit card and withdraw as needed. The fees for this are alot less that withdrawing from your atm/laser card...ive done the research, and talked to the banks.

Im with BOI and they are also the cheapest I've found to go with the above option.

How long are you going for? We are going for nearly 7 months, so we needed to get the least expensive option possible.

#2 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by helz26 on 26/5/2011 at 19:25

Hey,

That's great thanks...I had heard that BOI did the best rates from ireland so I think I'll go with that. I just wanted to cut out expensive fees.
My boyfriend has a prepaid card from the UK and there is no fees. I don't think there are any of those type cards in Ireland.

Were going for 3/4 months in Asia, travelling around Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia then flying from Singapore to Melbourne - hoping to work and travel around Oz then.

We will be on a budget so need to keep costs down too. How long are you going for?

#3 helz26 has been a member since 29/3/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by chicoelnino on 26/5/2011 at 22:53

yeah there are no prepaid cards like that in Ireland.

We are going for just under 7 months. Plan to head to Melbourne as well half way through for a 3 week road trip in a campervan :)

Really looking forward to the trip :)

#4 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by zaccolbert on 21/9/2011 at 17:36

When I was in northern Ireland i used my UK prepaid card and it worked fine, but maybe you're going all around Ireland? I'd suggest calling up the card company you're looking of going with and asking them directly. Either way, have a great trip!

#5 zaccolbert has been a member since 14/9/2011. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.