Finance and money forum

Flights finally paid for, Now my budget...

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hey ive just booked my flights for me and my girlfriend for august 10th (excited!!!) this is our first time out of europe and backpacking.. We are looking to go for around 14 weeks and will be visiting Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia (spending half the time in Thailand) Im looking to have a budget of around £3500 for us both (ooops that doesnt sound enough already)

Just want anyones advise on if this will be enough, will we struggle, will we have to limit our options/travel?? also it would be appreciated if you think this is nowhere near enough to tell me, How much you would recommend take to make this bearable eg. Half decent accommodation/Food/Travel(internal flights if needed)

Some replies and advise would be nice!
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 00:32

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Look at the search bar on the upper right side and put in budget. You will see so many threads. Read some and get and idea. You can do it. But it will be tight.

Did you factor in travel insurance?
    Have you already paid for your shots/injections?
    Have you factored in local travel on buses/trains/ etc to get from one major area to the next? (OK re-read your post)

Sure you can find rooms for US $10 a day, real food (not cup noodles or noodle soup with no meat on the street) $10-15 for two, but I would want better. Sometimes you may want air after days of sweat and stink (everyone is diff). Try $15 on a room/$20 on food. $5 for local travel. Remember laundry costs and snacks etc. Internal flights are not reccommended on this budget for two. But Thialands major tourist places will be more expensive than the less known spots in Malaysia and Indonesia. I think it will be tight. I say add 1000 pounds and be more comfortable. If not stay thrifty in the beginning so you can be more comfortable at the end.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 10:51

• westley50

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

hi buddy. me and my gf are going on the 9th september for around about the same time. were still trying to work out are budget aswel. where are you guys from?

wes and charlotte

#3 Posted: 7/6/2011 - 23:57

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Alright wes, Whats your planned route yet any ideas? Any luck on the budget front? Were from Middlesbrough in England.
    Sorry for the late reply been on holiday :D

#4 Posted: 26/6/2011 - 23:37

• westley50

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

Hi mate. Are flights are all booked now we fly out 31st august and arrive 1st September. Going to stay Bangkok for 3 nights koh samui 5 nights and then to koh phangan for the full moon party. After that we will probably make are way over to phi phi for a few nights n then to Phuket. That's as far as we have worked out. Fly home 28th December so got plenty of time so just going with the flow. Were from Manchester. If you guys fancy a meet up and few beers that would be great?

#5 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 03:25

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Not bad, so are you just staying in thailand? We are only staying in Bangkok for 3 nights aswel then heading up to chiang mai but after that were heading to more or less the same places as you so meeting up for beers would be no problem, How old are you guys is it your first time travelling?

#6 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 21:49

• westley50

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

no were gonna do maybe the first 6 week in thailand and then move onto cambodia loas vietnam. how about you guys? were 22 and 21 going to be 23 on 5th september. how about use? been to thailand 2 years ago but for only 3 weeks so want to do it peoper this time lol

#7 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 23:17

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Ah right yeah, were doing about the same time in Thailand then moving onto Malaysia and Indonesia, Were 23 and 20 so more or less the same haha its our first time so cant wait to just get going

#8 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 01:27

• westley50

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

Are you guys on facebook? It would be much easier to chat on there? If u want to add me my name is westley Hague. If you can't find me I can add you?

#9 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 19:24

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

No bother i'll add you matey

#10 Posted: 29/6/2011 - 04:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.