Finance and money forum

Using ATM's in SouthEast Asia.

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Just a quick one, ive been looking through different websites trying to find the best/cheapest card to use (england) whilst travelling with no luck! i dont really want to use credit cards or travellers cheques, so a bit of help would be nice, as its starting to annoy me. My bank Halifax have told me not to use my debit card because they charge a fortune for overseas cash withdrawals. Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 21:54

• Advertisement

• hannahben

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there. We take out our money on a weekly basis as to not lose 2 much incase it goes "missing". Most banks we have used charge around $2 for a transaction. But then our bank will also take a charge for using card overseas. This is uusually around £3 we bank with llyods and this was a issue we overlooked before we came away. We met another English couple who said that there bank doesn't charge but I can't remember who it was. There are ones that don't charge. Just keep looking. But u will definately get a charge for using out here. Hope this helps

#2 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 22:25

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

My current bank will charge me a fee for the transaction then on top of that they will charge a percentage on the amount i take out! I was hoping there was some type of card out there that doesnt charge all of this.

#3 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 22:27

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

#4 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 10:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.