Finance and money forum

Canadian bank card (Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos)

• grace88

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

Hello all!

Looking for some advice...
    I'll be flying into Hanoi in early September, working as an intern with the Canadian embassy until early December. For the month of December I plan to spend some time in Laos & Cambodia before flying home. I'm trying to figure out which one of the Canadian banks lets you withdraw $ (ATM) for free (or the cheapest one out there). I'm currently with the Bank of Montreal, and have been told that there is a $5/withdrawal fee.
    Plan on taking several large denomination USD traveller's cheques as an emerg supply of money for when I'm travelling. Will bring some US cash with me. Debating on whether to use a credit card at all..would rather avoid ridiculous cash advance fees + interest. Would I be better off with a prepaid credit card? Any ideas on which company might be best?
    Wondering if my best bet would be to transfer funds to a Vietnamese bank for the time I am in Hanoi...

Final question: Is it worthwhile to get an extra ATM card for backup?

Have been looking around in this forum but haven't found a whole lot of info on Canadian debit cards..Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 23:15

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey Grace88,

Let me know if you find a bank here in Canada that will let you make international withdrawals for free! I bank with Alberta Treasury Branch and have used my debit card without problem all over SEA for years. That being said, I eat $4 for every withdrawal. I tend to only used my card every 2 weeks or so, keeping bank charges to a minimum. And from what I have heard from other Canadian travellers - 4-5$ for a withdrawal seems to be the norm.

I also pre-pay on my normal MasterCard for every trip and just use it for larger purchases ie. hotels, flights and diving. Small cash advances will kill your budget! Make sure you have a PIN for your card as well.

Some traveller's cheques aren't a bad idea as I do the same and I also take some cash with me. I find that I use my credit card most often - widely accepted.

I bring a little bit of all of them and keep them in different places on me - that way I always have a $ resource.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 23:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What's the best Canadian bank to use to manage money in SE asia? ... By Handsome_Boy on 10 Sep 2009 13 9807 18 Jan 2010
Bank key card quistion... cirrus? ... By jadeox on 5 Nov 2007 1 3406 7 Nov 2007
Lost my passport money and Bank card.. ... By potta_boro on 18 Aug 2011 20 6422 20 Aug 2011
Canadian TC's in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia? ... By altmtl on 10 Oct 2011 2 1794 10 Oct 2011
which bank have lowest surchage for cash withdraw by visa credit card ... By sandyyou on 20 Apr 2007 0 2606 20 Apr 2007
Canadian Debit Card in Thailand ... By CharFlorica on 18 Jun 2008 4 5633 5 Sep 2008
Cirrus card in Laos and Cambodia? ... By pliszkapliszka on 6 May 2009 4 4415 3 Jun 2009