Finance and money forum

Budget for 7 weeks?

• Joannacxxx

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010

Hi there.
    Just need some opinions really.
    Im starting in Singapore on 1st of September, doing a group tour through ~Malysia, Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam, until 25th September. (All accomodation is paid for during this time).
    Then from 25th Sept until 20th October I will be spending in Thailand alone. Hoping to go to Chiang Mai, then a bit of island hopping. I'm happy to rough it a bit, and I wont be out drinking, as I'll be alone and will want to keep my wits about me!
    My Budget for the whole trip is about £1000, or $1700 USD. Do you think this will be enough for about 7 weeks?
    Flights paid for, Visas paid for already! Also I'm debating whether or not Malaria tablets are necessary?

Many Thanks
    Jo

#1 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 22:04

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It depends mostly on what is included in your group tour. If it's everything except drinks you will manage. If you will also need to pay admissions, activities and meals during the group tour you won't have much money left for that independent stretch.

I'd say that for your independent trip you need roughly $25-40 per day

#2 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 12:50

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Your risk of catching malaria is extremely low so won't need malaria tablets, but do use mosquito repellent. People worry about malaria but dengue fever is a far more common disease and there's no specific prevention or cure for that. Just try not to get bitten by mosquitoes too often. Dengue is transmitted by a different mosquito called Aedes aegypti and if you look at the mosquitoes around you, you will see they are nearly all that type....they have stripes on the body. They mostly bite around dusk or dawn but can bite at any time of the day or night.

Don't freak out unduly if you do get a mosquito bite or two though...everyone does and very few people actually get sick!

#3 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 13:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.