Finance and money forum

Thailand on 1100B/day.. reasonable?

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

First time SE Asia traveller looking for some last minute budget reassurance!

A little about me and the trip I'm hoping for:

- 4 weeks travel starting in mid Aug
    - 27 year old male travelling with friend (sharing accomidation)
    - Enjoys a beer or two (stocking up at 7-eleven is fine with me)
    - Ideal accomidation is a bungalow on the beach with a hammock (nothin fancy)
    - Loves street food (I only eat 2 meals per day)
    - Hope to spend majority of the time relaxing on a beach, being lazy and forgetting about work :)
    - Hope to see Angkor Wat and possibly Saigon for 1-2 days each
    - Not opposed to taking trains, buses, ferries, etc

Is my 1100B/day budget delusional? Helpful suggestions are wanted! Also looking for possible cheap destinations that may be quiet and offer up this ideal bungalow on the beach type atmosphere away from all the tourism.

Im roughly budgeting:

500B for accomidation (this is per person)
    300B for food
    300B for entertainment

Thanks in advance for not being too rough ;)

#1 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 13:41

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Is the entertainment budget 'going out, beer' money? Or is it activity money?

You will need to allow something for transport - buses, ferries, trains, taxis, etc. Also 'activity' fees - for example Angkor Wat is USD$40 for a 3 day ticket (by memory). The more the move about, the more expenses of you will incur.

#2 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 16:20

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

1100B should be enough if you stay in a cheap bungalow on Ko Phangan. You might even be able to get an accommodation discount for a long term stay. Avoid full moon parties etc if you can. Parties are big money eaters because they are designed to make people spend a lot of money on booze (even if the BBQ is *free*).

As Lizzy said, travelling about will increase costs quite a bit. Not just the cost of transport, but also visas. If you only stay one or two days in a country you're really not optimizing the $20-$30 visa you've paid for that permits you to stay a month.

I'd skip Saigon for sure, and if you want to see Angkor Wat then would recommend you spend more days there to make it worthwhile.

#3 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 17:05

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I think that should be just enough. Travel (including visas), accommodation and beer are the things you will spend the most on. Since you're sharing a room that will help, take the advice and skip Saigon and watch how much you spend on the beer. Beach days are the cheapest so if you plan to do that a lot you will have more money for the other days.

#4 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 19:55

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

Thanks for all the great replies! So just to clarify, is everyone suggesting to skip Saigon based on the budget or based on there not being much to see there for the money spent to get there?

And I do plan to stay away from all the "parties", its not really my scene, as I'de much prefer something more laid back and relaxed, however we do plan on attending the Full Moon Party at the end of our trip, but I'm good after 2-3 beers anyway...

Taking this a step further, can anyone recommend some good places for accomidation that are "off the beaten path" where it might be a bit cheaper and on or near a nice beach? Wifi and cell service prefered of course....

#5 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 22:13

• lunar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2011

There are many things to see in Saigon and street food is awesome =) Personally I would skip Saigon and spent those days at the temples of Angkor Wat, if you don't have enough time. If you are just want to see the main temples, then one day is enough for Angkor Wat. The war remnants museum in Saigon is very interesting and yeah ... food =)

#6 Posted: 15/8/2011 - 05:33

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Old thread, but I thought I'd add something in case someone else cares to read. 1100/day is reasonable enough. If you're splitting accommodation, your budget there is too high. Outside of a few main tourist hotspots, guesthouses can be had for under 300 total the majority of the time. We stayed in Koh Lanta for 2 weeks and paid 250/night split between two people. For cheap destinations, I'd recommend Koh Lanta, Krabi, Kanchanaburi, Sangkhlaburi, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai, Mae Sariang, Doi Mae Salong, Chiang Rai, Khao Yai, and Doi Inthanon. All of these places have had accomm for under 300 baht total, with varying levels of quality. 300b for food per day is a lot, depending on where you are. Most of the places I listed have easy access to cheap local restaurants, ranging from 30-60 baht/meal. I think a bare bones budget in Thailand once you're settled somewhere(i.e. not counting transportation costs) could be 200/accomm, 100/food, and 300/entertainment/activities/booze. It all depends on how much or little you'd like to do!

#7 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 21:28

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

I'm off to Asia myself in Jan amd I'm too not that sure about budgets. I've just found this site http://www.priceoftravel.com/34/thailand/bangkok-prices

It has listings for cities worldwide and their report on London seemed pretty accurate to me. If anyone from other areas can check this out and confirm if its accurate I'd be much obliged

#8 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 12:18

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

I'm off to Asia myself in Jan amd I'm too not that sure about budgets. I've just found this site http://www.priceoftravel.com/34/thailand/bangkok-prices

It has listings for cities worldwide and their report on London seemed pretty accurate to me. If anyone from other areas can check this out and confirm if its accurate I'd be much obliged

#9 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 12:18

• phishsticks

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

Hey Peter, I checked out the priceoftravel website you posted. I am currently living in Seoul, Korea and the costs were all pretty spot on. I also checked Toronto (my home town) and it was also accurate. Seems that the website has accurate info.

#10 Posted: 27/11/2011 - 07:20

• Advertisement

• frasmc

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

I am at the end of my 48th day in SE Asia, and have averaged 709 baht per day so far this trip, including visas for Laos and Thailand. I have been to Bangkok, Ko Samet, Nong Khai, Vientiane , Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, and Koh Chang. I am travelling solo and stay in cheaper guesthouses and bungalows but never anywhere that is sketchy or uncomfortable (except for Vientiane where I braved the hostel at Sabaidy Guesthouse). I probably average 1.5 big beers a day (some days none, some days are a bit of a party), and have avoided paid activities (sightseeing tours, diving, etc). I don't pay for internet since I go to restaurants/guesthouses/etc with free wifi. I eat 3 or 4 times a day, usually at restaurants.

Based on this, I am sure that you will have no problem at all paying 1100 baht a day, especially since you are splitting your accommodation and eat much less than I do. To be honest, I expect you could very easily spend much less than 1100 a day.

#11 Posted: 27/11/2011 - 08:34

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Thanks phishsticks. I'm pretty chuffed to hear that :)

#12 Posted: 27/11/2011 - 13:00

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

Wow old post! And just to let everyone know I averaged about 1000 baht per day, and ended up traveling solo mostly. Just thought I'd check the site again as I'm planning a trip back this summer and plan to finally make it to Saigon this time lol

#13 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 22:59

• herjazz

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2012

Message for Drew84 and frasmc

I'm planning to be in Thailand for 2 months on around 1000baht a day. Looks like both of you managed it. Care to give a few tips or specifics? I'm aiming for similar things that Drew84 said in his initial post (but travelling alone and only in Thailand).

Ta in advance!

#14 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 04:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In Thailand, outside of Ko Phi Phi, Phuket and a couple of other pricey anomalies, you should be able to get a semi-decent, fan-cooled room for around 250-300 baht. Less (as little at 100 baht in some places) if you go a bit further down-market, a little more if you want air-con, but let's say 300 baht for easier math.

Once that is squared away it is down to food, drink, travel & tours/entertainment.

Across the country you can get a simple one plate dish (some meat or veg or curry on rice) for under 50 baht. Yes you can buy the curry baggies for about 15 baht a pop, but I don't think I could face those three times a day!

So if you wanted to be generous, you could say 50 baht for breakfast with Thai coffee, 50 baht for lunch with water and 100 baht for dinner with a beer. This is all Thai food - either in the guesthouse or street stalls (I'd recommend the latter), so add 30 baht a day for a few bottles of water and you've got say 250 baht per day on food and water.

Then there's booze. You'll pay 30 baht for a 330ml Chang beer in the 7-eleven -- but you'll more in a bar - maybe 45 baht - maybe 80 baht -- depends on the bar. Drink five beers at a have decent bar and there goes a third of your budget. Fancier beers, fancier prices.

Cigarettes? laundry? These are very minor costs.

That still leaves you a lot of change from 1,000 baht a day.

In practise, people tend to spend more than they think they will on accommodation, they eat breakfast at the guesthouse (which is invariably poor quality and expensive) and boozy nights can totally blow a budget. Also watch out for coffee and motorbike hire. Oh and National Park entrance - can be pricey depending on the park.

Transport wise, local bus and train are inexpensive, but the costs add up if you are travelling every other day -- the longer you stay in one spot, the lower your average cost will become.

But the simple answer is yes Thailand on 1,000 baht a day is totally doable.

#15 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 05:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.