Finance and money forum

US Dollar Coins & $2 Bills

• Cerritos

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2011

I am going to Vietnam and Cambodia and have heard all the stories about bank notes in poor condition. I'm an ex-pat living in Mexico and it is the same here, absolutely no torn peso or US notes. Has anyone tried using the seldom seen and used US $1 coins in lieu of paper bills. That way you don't have to worry about worn or torn notes. Also been told that the US $2 bills are highly prized. True or not? As a bonus almost all $2 notes are in mint condition. Thanks
    Carlos

#1 Posted: 16/8/2011 - 08:44

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

People are not familiar with dollar coins and will most often not accept them fearing that it's a joke or fake. Don't bother bringing them, seems like a lot of extra weight.
    Besides, they are far less critical of 1 dollar notes. They are just not important enough to care about so you can get away with old series and so on. They start scrutinizing notes from $20 and upwards. Those must be in mint condition and of latest series.

Also in Vietnam they don't use widely dollar notes, at least not the smaller notes, so spend or save them for Cambodia where they also come out of the ATM. In Vietnam you will have to pay in Dong but sometimes you can settle your hotel bill with dollars but be aware of the exchange rate they use. Most times it pays off to change first at a bank or shop and then settle the hotel bill in Dong

You're right about the $2 notes. They bring good luck in Cambodia (less so in Vietnam) so having a few of those might make some people happy. It won't start a fight but they will happily accept them.

All in all I'd say just bring your ATM card and a few $2 notes. If you start in Cambodia that should be enough.

#2 Posted: 16/8/2011 - 10:35

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Yes, a lot of businesses keep $2 notes on display for luck.I've heard you can get $3 for a $2 bill.Might be worth an investment
    Coins in Cambodia don't exist so they really wouldn't understand the concept and I doubt whether you'd change them. Anyway, were you planning on bringing a few hundred dollars in coins because you'll have an awful bill for excess luggage from the airline.
    :-)

#3 Posted: 16/8/2011 - 15:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.