Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Canadian TC's in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia?

Posted by altmtl on 10/10/2011 at 00:22

First of all, I'd just like to say, I know it is recommended to bring US TC's (for Thailand, anyway) and I know about SuperRich & AEON no fee ATM's. I will have a debit card & a CC & some US cash in case of emergencies. But, because I want to avoid pesky Canadian bank fees & 150 fee in Thailand at regular banks...

How accepted are American Express Canadian Traveller's Checks - In Thailand, Laos and Cambodia? I know that the fee per check is around 33 baht in Thailand - Is this so at SuperRich also? What are the fees in Laos & Cambodia like? Would I get a worse rate because it Canadian instead of in US$

#1 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by frasmc on 10/10/2011 at 20:33

In the past I've had no problem using Canadian TCs in Bangkok, but I am not sure how useful they are in smaller cities. I don't know about Laos and Cambodia. Rates in Bangkok were fair, and consistent with the Canadian/US exchange rate (ie if the Canadian dollar is above parity, you'll get more more baht than for a US dollar). Rates are usually better for TCs than cash, and for larger denominitions (eg $500 TCs get the best rate).

#2 frasmc has been a member since 28/11/2005. Posts: 29
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by altmtl on 10/10/2011 at 23:06

Yeah I'm not worried about Thailand so much, but it appears there's a 2% charge on TC's in Laos & Cambodia - not sure what the max withdrawal limit is at ATM's is in L & C, I keep seeing conflicting info.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/494515-atm-withdrawal-limits-for-cambodia-laos/

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.