Finance and money forum

Canadian TC's in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

First of all, I'd just like to say, I know it is recommended to bring US TC's (for Thailand, anyway) and I know about SuperRich & AEON no fee ATM's. I will have a debit card & a CC & some US cash in case of emergencies. But, because I want to avoid pesky Canadian bank fees & 150 fee in Thailand at regular banks...

How accepted are American Express Canadian Traveller's Checks - In Thailand, Laos and Cambodia? I know that the fee per check is around 33 baht in Thailand - Is this so at SuperRich also? What are the fees in Laos & Cambodia like? Would I get a worse rate because it Canadian instead of in US$

#1 Posted: 10/10/2011 - 00:22

• Advertisement

• frasmc

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

In the past I've had no problem using Canadian TCs in Bangkok, but I am not sure how useful they are in smaller cities. I don't know about Laos and Cambodia. Rates in Bangkok were fair, and consistent with the Canadian/US exchange rate (ie if the Canadian dollar is above parity, you'll get more more baht than for a US dollar). Rates are usually better for TCs than cash, and for larger denominitions (eg $500 TCs get the best rate).

#2 Posted: 10/10/2011 - 20:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Yeah I'm not worried about Thailand so much, but it appears there's a 2% charge on TC's in Laos & Cambodia - not sure what the max withdrawal limit is at ATM's is in L & C, I keep seeing conflicting info.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/494515-atm-withdrawal-limits-for-cambodia-laos/

#3 Posted: 10/10/2011 - 23:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Canadian bank card (Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos) ... By grace88 on 22 Jul 2011 1 3946 23 Jul 2011
25 year old Canadian guy in Thailand & Laos starting Oct 11th ... By frasmc on 3 Oct 2011 3 1287 15 Oct 2011