Finance and money forum

Using Pre-paid card in SEA?

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Looking to leave towards end of Jan ,
    Anybody used these before when travelling care to share please ,
    I have a fewaccounts , RBS, NatWest and Santander , all basic accounts in UK , but looked on travel supermarket and they don’t seem like the best option. . I have moneyin bank and cash I want to spend unto £4000 (3000cash) on traveling. But i can’tget a credit card as I don’t qualify so pre-paid I think is the way to go.
    I don’t no which one to go for they all seem similar (Freedom, STA etc.) , anyadvice Thanks

#1 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 09:09

• Advertisement

• gotcharisma-

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Happy New Year Winstan. Everytime I go to SE Asia I use a Pre-paid card. I've used Cash Passport (http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/uk/) Visa Card US Dollars two years ago and re-used it again in November past. I think its the handiest thing to carry around instead of travellers cheques (where you have to find the best money exchanger which is time consuming and hard to find). You just treat it like a Debit Card, use in the cash machines, use in shops etc. With my card I didnt pay a withdrawel charge and when I lost my card after a mad rush to catch a train on a motorbike, I called them on the train (24hrs emergency helpline) and they voided my card, transferred some of my money to my friends card (very handy - if you are travelling alone you could always carry two separately) and delivered a new card to my next destination hotel in 2 days.

At the time of my November trip I decided to search for the best pre-paid card and believe me it took some searching, the best one I could find was from Fairfx (https://www.fairfx.com) - anywhere card, but unfortunately I left it too late.

Always order your currency card 2/3 weeks in advance to your travel date. If you need help deciding which one is best for you Money Saving Expert does a great summary (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money)

Although always have some cash on you because I found some places in SE Asia they dont take card at all (especially in the small islands).

Hope I've helped.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 18:21

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Arrhh yes happy new year to you too , thanks for thee reply .
    what did you do im ammsuming your from the Uk , what currency did you load the card with , im thinking load one with dollars , and another with tbh or £ pounds , a good idea if i can do that ?
    Any 1 else ..

#3 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 11:30

• ShackJaymz

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hello Winstan,

I fly out to Thailand in a few weeks

I'm going to be using Caxton FX

I shopped around for quite a while and found this was the best pre-paid card with no hassle

#4 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 12:45

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Hello shackjaymz thanks for The help . I looked at the Caxton fx to be4 , what currency did you put the money on?
    Also whats your route/ plan for thiland ,

Winstan

#5 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 16:28

• ShackJaymz

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hello Winstan,

Sorry for the late reply

I put GBP on mine, the Caxton FX card automatically converts your money into the local currency

My friend used it when she travelled through Thailand and Malaysia last year and had no problems

I fly out to Thailand later this month, Bangkok through to Chiang Mai then back south

What trip are you making?

Speak soon,

James

#6 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 13:50

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

That's good i think I will get the Caxton then seems like a good 1. I've got an escape on the way.
    Yes Chang Mai seems to have a lot of cool stuff to do And see, what are you planning on doing on the way there ?
    I've not made many plans , land in Bangkok and probably head to Chang Mai also. then across to Vietnam and round , to Phuket , I don't know !

#7 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 18:11

• gotcharisma-

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Hi sorry for late reply. I used US dollars. Yes I'm from Edinburgh. I really enjoyed chiang mai. Done rock climbing, visited the elephants, played with baby tigers etc etc. you have to visit chiang rai for the "white temple". I've seen enough temples to last me a lifetime but this one is gorgeous. It's a 3 hr bus journey from CM, only need an hr to see it and best of all it's free. If you need any more advice let me know.

#8 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 20:04

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Hello gotcharisma-31 , thanks for the info , were are you heading next

#9 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 13:46

• gotcharisma-

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

Im back home now :(. I headed to Laos - Vang Vieng for the famous tubing and then Luang Prabang, blue lagoon.

#10 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 15:59

• Advertisement

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

ok cool lol . do you any were else in the SE Asia , and how do get about

#11 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 12:52

• gotcharisma-

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

I've been to quite a lot of places in SE Asia. Air Asia and Nok air are quite cheap if you are in rush to get from A to B but mostly travel on trains, buses and boats. Cambodia Siem Reap is amazing done quad biking for a day and seen so much of where they live and survive etc. Vietnam halong bay on a junk cruise is recommended as well.

Where are you starting? What's your plans? How long are you away for?

#12 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 15:42

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Cool , Bangkok starting. Will most probably head up to Chang Mai , then into laos then down threw Cambodia and up vietnam and fly back to bangkok or phuket on my second visa . Or might go straight to Vietnam from Chang Mai if I can , I don't know yet .
    The place in Vietnam looks really smart will go there I think .
    Probaly around three months I'm aiming for there abouts but as long as 4000 £ lasts if I like travelling !
    Any advice will be great

#13 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 01:08

• Armando696

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2009
    Location Switzerland
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 122

TC cheques are much more convenient in SE Asia. And even cheaper, you get always a better rate then for cash. And easy to change, nearly every bank even in a small city does it. And you avoid the bad exchange rate on prepaid cards and the fee for using the card.

#14 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 04:38

• yurithebest1

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

The only thing that i had to do before traveling abroad was alarming my bank that i was going outside the country, that way they authorized any transaction that had to be done outside the country !

#15 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 15:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Reasonable Pre-Paid Travel Card ... By michaels57 on 13 Jan 2010 3 3912 13 Feb 2010