Finance and money forum

Denominations query

• leeturnbull-

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2012

Hey guys,
    My girlfriend and I will be travelling around all of SE Asiafor 4-6 months with a budget of $6,000 dollars between us. We were wonderingwhat the best way would be to split up our money between cash (US and local), abank card, and traveler’s checks. How much and what denominations should we putinto traveler’s checks? Any advice and/or suggestions would be helpful.

#1 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 16:50

• Advertisement

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I have been traveling for a year now & brought no travelers checks. I use my debit card exclusively (better rates & more convenient) and about 600 USD for "emergencies" I still have over 200 USD in cash, as the only "emergencies" i had were a town with broken ATMs and when my bank locked me out. ( be sure to tell your bank you are traveling, BTW) you can get local cash when you land. all airports have ATMs.
    happy travels

#2 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 18:11

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree with savorgal. I tend to carry a bunch of USD cash as well (in a mix of denominations from $100 to $20) for emergencies. I tend to hide a couple of the $20 in different places in my pack, JIC. eg in the bottom of my toiletry bag, etc - and carry the rest.

Agree there is no need for TC's - rely on your ATM and credit card. I would suggest carrying a spare card to your account, or having two different accounts with a card each. Same with credit cards if you can. Then carry the cards separately - eg swap spare cards with your girlfriend, or keep one in your wallet and one in your money belt.

I did this, and found it saved my butt on Day 1 of my trip, in Singapore, when I somehow lost my wallet. (I blame jetlag, the heat... or just general stupidity!). Either way, having the spare cards and cash back in my room made life MUCH easier while I waited for my replacements cards to arrive with my friend 3 weeks later.

#3 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 19:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Denominations query ... By leeturnbull82 on 12 Jan 2012 2 806 12 Jan 2012