Finance and money forum

NZ Credit cards

• shambles

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

I'm currently doing research into credit cards/debit cards.
    Are there any Kiwi's here who can recommend a cheap option?
    At the moment most seem to charge $5 Atm fee plus 2.5% pluse the local banks atm fees?

Am I missing something, Is there anything cheaper than this

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 20/2/2012 - 19:17

• Advertisement

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

I think all the banks are pretty much the same. I would suggest looking at AirNZ OneSmart card. http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/onesmart

It doesn't charge commission on currency conversion and no transaction fees (obviously you still have to pay the local fee at the ATM you withdraw from). I don't know much about it or anyone that actually uses it but it could be good. You should probably check what currencies can be loaded on to the card and also their conversion rates.

#2 Posted: 20/2/2012 - 21:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I haven't found a cheaper option in NZ so far. But when using my EFT Pos card overseas, I always search for banks that will give the highest amount of cash (in can carry in countries by banks, or even bank locations... so ask around). And then I pull out the maximum amount of cash - even if it means I'm carrying a few hundred dollars around.

I also thought the Air NZ OneSmart card could be good option (after an initial cursory look) and would that I would investigate further to use on my next trip. But you need to know whether or not overseas banks will charge an additional fee (as some bank did with a Travelex card) - as well as currency conversion rates, etc. But in principle, it could be a good option. I believe you would have to join the Air NZ Airpoints program to get it.

#3 Posted: 20/2/2012 - 21:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
credit cards? ... By worldbound on 14 Mar 2011 5 1463 15 Mar 2011
Nok Air - International credit cards can now be used ... By murwill16 on 22 Dec 2006 0 1466 22 Dec 2006