Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

NZ Credit cards

Posted by shambles on 20/2/2012 at 19:17

I'm currently doing research into credit cards/debit cards.
Are there any Kiwi's here who can recommend a cheap option?
At the moment most seem to charge $5 Atm fee plus 2.5% pluse the local banks atm fees?

Am I missing something, Is there anything cheaper than this

Thanks in advance

#1 shambles has been a member since 12/7/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by stefanw on 20/2/2012 at 21:27

I think all the banks are pretty much the same. I would suggest looking at AirNZ OneSmart card. http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/onesmart

It doesn't charge commission on currency conversion and no transaction fees (obviously you still have to pay the local fee at the ATM you withdraw from). I don't know much about it or anyone that actually uses it but it could be good. You should probably check what currencies can be loaded on to the card and also their conversion rates.

#2 stefanw has been a member since 10/12/2010. Posts: 50

Posted by busylizzy on 20/2/2012 at 21:37

I haven't found a cheaper option in NZ so far. But when using my EFT Pos card overseas, I always search for banks that will give the highest amount of cash (in can carry in countries by banks, or even bank locations... so ask around). And then I pull out the maximum amount of cash - even if it means I'm carrying a few hundred dollars around.

I also thought the Air NZ OneSmart card could be good option (after an initial cursory look) and would that I would investigate further to use on my next trip. But you need to know whether or not overseas banks will charge an additional fee (as some bank did with a Travelex card) - as well as currency conversion rates, etc. But in principle, it could be a good option. I believe you would have to join the Air NZ Airpoints program to get it.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.