Finance and money forum

$10,000 for 6 months?

• SPUD

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

I'm planning a solo trip to SEA but am still unsure for how long. I'm interested in traveling in Thailand, Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam. My plan is to quit my job and sell all my stuff. My budget after flight should be around $10,000 USD with the items being sold used as small savings for after i return. I pretty much just want to lounge around instead of constantly moving around seeing every sight possible. Staying in one place for 2+ weeks if i feel like it. No party/club or fine dining and OK with staying in cheap hostels. Is it possible to stay for 6 months with 10K? Longer?

#1 Posted: 20/4/2012 - 21:54

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That is easily possible yes. However, do take insurance into account if you haven't yet.

If you don't travel around much you could get by with $15-20 per day so around $600 per month. That is however a basic minimum. Of course you can do it for less but then you're really more busy with saving money than enjoying yourself.
    For 6 months I would rather budget $30-40 per day which leaves you more freedom to do things and the occasional modest splash out. Every day noodle soup, pad thai and fried rice does get boring after a while.

6 x$900-1200 = $5400-$7200 (excluding insurance)

#2 Posted: 20/4/2012 - 22:13

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm kind of going off-topic on this one, but I am always surprised to hear people say that they are selling everything before they embark on a journey of a limited duration. You indicate you might be travelling for 6 months - hence my surprise.

I know it depends on where you are in life, what sort of stuff you have (ie old second hand crap vs decent quality) - but selling everything off isn't always the wisest move, especially if you will have to replace it when you get back. You will lose money when you sell stuff, and of course it will cost you to buy new stuff on your return.

Consider putting stuff into commercial storage - you might find it's not as expensive as you think. Especially if you can find a place that is maybe a little bit of town where rates can be a bit cheaper than in a city. I put a large house lot of stuff into storage (after selling some unnecessary crap) while I was away and found it relatively cheap to do so - at least certainly cheaper than the alternative.

And when I got back, I appreciated having a house-lot of stuff with which I could quickly get re-established.

Different strokes for different folks, of course!

Back to your original budget question... eastwest provides good info, as long as you are staying in the cheaper places, as you indicated. The less you move, the cheaper it gets as you're not paying for transport, and you can negotiate cheaper rates if you stay for longer. But do allow a contigency budget as you will want to splash out at times, as eastwest states. And make sure you allow some for insurance - very important!

#3 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 00:49

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

All I do is sublet my apt., I get by on around 1000$ a month in sea, but you can do it cheaper.

#4 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 02:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It depends on whether you want to move around, or are willing to stay in one location. You can get a decent place to live here (friend of mine has an apartment for less than 100 USD a month and it's all in - electric, water, wifi).

#5 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 07:28

• SPUD

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

Thanks for the replies. Selling all my stuff seems crazy to some but not me. I'm 27 and have yet to plant serious roots in SF so i don't have much. The things i want to sell are not necessities and can easily be replaced if needed. After 5 years of living in SF i'm unsure i want to come back anyway. The less i have gives me the freedom to move around easier. My budget allows $50/day for 6 months but i don't have a specific date i need to come back. I would like to stay as cheaply as possible with out sacrificing my enjoyment, longer the better.

MADMAC, how did your friend get that apt? That sounds like something i might be interested in.

#6 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 11:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Finding an apartment is easy. If you decide you want to go that route, drop me a line. I wouldn't recommend where I live, which is very provicial. But Khaon Kaen, that's a decent city and you can find a place around that price with most of what you want.

#7 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 14:58

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

Hey I've got pretty much the exact same plan in mind I have about 10G to travel with and I was expecting about 6 months, But I also want to see as much as I can so I was actually thinking of starting in southern Indonesia then going north to Thailand.
    Where abouts are you thinking of flying into, straight into Bangkok? I'm still unsure where I should fly into, seems bangkok is the cheapest though (from west coast Canada).

#8 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 16:08

• SPUD

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

I'm still undecided on where i want to start.

Option 1: SF to Taiwan to Bangkok. 3 weeks in TW and the rest in TL, Cam, Laos, Viet. Non stop flight for $650

Option 2: SF to Taiwan to Shanghai. 3 weeks in TW, across China to Yunnan then down into Laos, TL, Cam and Viet. Non stop flight for $750. This is probably a much more expensive plan and leaves me with less time in SEA.

I'm leaning more towards option 1 since its cheaper and leaves me with enough time in each country. Most likely ending in HK for last couple weeks.

#9 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 17:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Either of those options obviously don't lend themselves to getting an apartment.

The advantages of doing so are:

1. You save a ton of money on accomodation. Even if you stay in cheap 300 baht a night places, that's still 9,000 baht a month. Whereas you can have the equivelent for one third that price if you rent an apartment.

2. You will really get to know and experience and area. You'll meet and make friends and if you work at it develop funtionality in the language. You will really absorb culture vice catching the superficial only.

The obvious disadvantage is you won't be seeing lots of this and you won't be going to lots of different countries. Most tourists are interested in seeing the name sights and if this description fits you, then obviously renting an apartment doesn't make much sense.

#10 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 11:21

• Advertisement

• SPUD

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

I obvious want to see some sights but i don't want to spend my time hopping from place to place every couple days. I don't have a list of things i want to see but feel obligated to at least check out a few major tourist attraction. I'm more into checking out the local food. I have a rough idea of where i want to go but plan to keep it very loose and allow my self to stay or go as i please. I can always visit the places i missed next time around. So if i had an opportunity to rent a place cheap for 1-3 months than i'd be down for it. Is it common to find short term rentals?

#11 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 19:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

A three month rental is not hard to find. Less than that can be difficult though. I can only speak for Thailand, however. You have to ask others here, like Sayadian or Rufus concerning Cambodia and Laos.

#12 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 22:40

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Most of the guesthouses will cut you a deal by the month if you plan on staying in the area that long. Electric as an extra will sometimes come into play but usually it's about half the nightly stay. They only clean your place 2 or3 times a week also. But, they are all different so make sure you get the details as to what exactly you are paying for. That's always been the way I have done it in Thailand.

#13 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 06:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.