Finance and money forum

AUD $4000 spending?

• bcp2004

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

Hi,
    I am leaving for southeast Asia with a mate around Christmas (i know its early but i want to be organised). I am traveling to Indonesia - Thailand - Vietnam - Cambodia (hopefully) - Loas, the trip should take around 65 days. I was wondering how much i should budget? i am thinking around $4000; $60 a day, will this cover food accommodation and a fair few drinks - not including flights? I am a bit sketchy about the accommodation, will $20 each, so $40 get me and my mate decent accommodation in all these countries?

#1 Posted: 20/4/2012 - 23:16

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That depends a lot on your personal preferences and description of decent.

A basic clean room with air conditioning and private bath can be found for $10-20 in the region but it usually lacks any charm. For $40 you can have a nice room with tasteful decorations in a good place with usually good service.
    Bear in mind that many places do raise their prices for Xmas.

Beers are in general $1 each. Don't know how many you normally drink.

In 65 days (and that itinerary) you'll probably take a few flights in SEA and I hope those internal flights are included. Otherwise your budget will shoot up.

If you're two blokes looking for a good time and don't care too much about fine food and luxurious rooms your budget is fine.
    If you're looking for the finer things SEA has to offer it might be a little tight but doable.

#2 Posted: 20/4/2012 - 23:44

• bcp2004

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

Thanks for the reply, i've excluded the flights so the 4000 is purely spending. Yeah i will be drinking quite a few drinks so I'm glad that their only $1. I will be doing most of the touristy things of course, but nothing to heavy on the pocket. Also, i was thinking about adding Cambodia, I've heard its quite cheap also, would anyone recommend it?

#3 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 01:07

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

If you want to do the regular touristy things you should visit Angkor and Phnom Penh. Both places also have good bars for your drinks.
    Price wise I'd say Cambodia is the same as surrounding countries. A few things are a bit more expensive but nothing that will make a serious dent in a budget such as yours.

#4 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 01:57

• bcp2004

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2012

cheers heaps mate, you've been really helpful

#5 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 02:09

• dene_aus

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010

Yep 4000 is easily enough, I had about the same budget for a similar trip in 2010!

#6 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 08:01

• TassieWombat

Click here to learn more about TassieWombat
    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

You might even be able to buy a few "pressies" on that budget :-). As eastwest said if you arn't greatly worried about "charm" you can get good enough accommodation for $10-$20. And don't book ahead without sound recommendation .. there are always cheaper places when you get there.

#7 Posted: 24/4/2012 - 15:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.