Finance and money forum

Change Euros to US$ now?

• billytheliar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Should I change my Euros to US dollars now? Planning a trip Oct.-Nov.to SE Asia, and not quite sure how it
    will be then (exchange rates). As everything I read is quoted in US dollars, I don΄t necessarily want to
    travel on a budget 20% (or 30%) lower than originally calculated. Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 06:13

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

You should have a small amount of US$ for emergencies, but I'm not sure I understand your concern, all countries use their own local currencies, Cambodia is another story.

Use your ATM card when you arrive, just make you know about the fees your bank charges you - In Thailand all banks charge 150 baht fee except for aeon.

#2 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 07:52

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

In many countries you will be able to convert your euros to the local currency, esp in the bigger cities. As altmtl suggests have a small amount for emergencies.

#3 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 08:09

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I brought Canadian cash and changed it in BK - no problem.

#4 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 08:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, I suspect the OPs concern is that the Euro is going to lose significant value in overseas trading soon - reason being the crisis in Greece and potential crises in Spain, Italy and Ireland.

#5 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 08:48

• billytheliar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Sorry that I didn't makeit clearer.
    Mac, you are right, thisis exactly what I fear. I can buy let's say 2000 US$ for 1600 Eur.today, but I was wondering if it would cost me much more in a coupleof months.
    -almtl ATM card is OK, butI am not sure my bank will still be in business in Oct. (you see, I'mgreek)
    Thanks anyway for yourtime!

#6 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 10:53

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I read today that there was a rush on the banks in Greece, people are withdrawing all their savings, stashing it at home, then getting robbed :(

It's a tough call. I assume you'll get a not so good rate for changing your Euros for US$, then there's the rate of changing it back to local currency... but at least you have the foresight to think of this. Good for you.

#7 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 19:48

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Sorry I didn't understand your first post.

In your situation, I would look at Australian dollars as your main hedge. The Australian economy is expected to grow by 2.7% so the currency should be stable and the economy isn't that dependent on trading with Europe.

This is just a quick analysis. I haven't really looked at things in depth.

#8 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 21:00

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I wouldn't suggest aussie $ myself, US cash when travelling is much easier to change.

#9 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 21:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Or if you are locked in to where you are going, you can simply get that currency now.

#10 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 00:58

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.