Finance and money forum

GBP Budget for SE Asia

• Walshyr32

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2012

Hi all,

Newbie here looking for some help. After 10 years in the Army and 4 years in the London rat race I really am set on taking some time out to see some of the world from a different perspective than I have whilst serving in the military. To cut a long story short I have a guaranteed income of £750 per month. I am already starting to seriously consider a year out and with planning time I reckon I could have around 6k (gbp) in savings by the time I am ready to head off. My question is, would my £750 per month allow me to travel around SE Asia? As a former 'squaddie' I'm more than comfortable roughing it but would also like to learn to dive, go to a Muay Thai school and do some island hopping.

I would love to visit Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and possibly onto India.

Any advice you can give would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Mark

#1 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 10:16

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You might be able to get by with 750 in most of SE Asia, but you'd need a little more in the big cities of Bangkok, Hanoi and Saigon. I'm not sure about India - just never been there yet.

Like everywhere, inflation lives in Asia too.

#2 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 12:29

• Walshyr32

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2012

Thanks for the info, like I said I will have savings and would be utilising the £750 to top these up as I go along. Big cities don't excite me much and although I will be visiting them I don't plan on hanging around them for long.

Cheers

Mark

#3 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 03:59

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Your budget works out to be roughly $40us/day. If you are willing to tap into the savings for your dive course, muay thai and any flights you might take along the way you should have plenty. I think a hostel/dorm room will run you anywhere from 5 - 12$us a night and 10 - 20$us for 3 meals/day (yeah - you can get cheaper food but if you don't want to eat off of a stick for a year...).
    Can't help you with India either.

#4 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 08:14

• Walshyr32

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2012

Thanks Tyler,

Your response is much appreciated. I want to go away for as long as possible but a year at least, after reading so many threads on budgets I thought it easier just to start another one relevant to my own circumstances. More than happy to use my savings to pay for the extras as my income will hopefully top these back up as I go along.

Rgds

mark

#5 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 05:23

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

750 is enough in all those places. I'm planning a long trip in SEA too and I will try not to spend more than 600 a month, travel excluded. I stay in the cheapest decent places (bungalows, hostel rooms with shared bathrooms, etc), and I don't really drink or buy stuff.

In India you're literally wealthy.

#6 Posted: 27/11/2012 - 13:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.