Finance and money forum

Travelling ALL of Asia - how much should I save?

• Domesticated

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2012

Hey everyone,
    This question might sound totally superficial and maybe a lot of people have asked it before, but I am standing right at the beginning of my travel planning and I am planning on leaving home (which is in Austria) in 2014, 2015 the latest, so I didn't really do so much research about the topic yet, especially because I haven't finished with my current adventure yet :D
    Anyway my plan is to travel ALL of Asia. I would leave from Moscow, get over there via Transmongolian Railroad and then just travel everything, in a time of 1-1,5 years. I would like to spend enough time to see the main sights in every country (I'd love to stay for the details too, but this would take me forever I guess). I am also considering of going to Australia and New Zealand right afterwards and extend my travel time to like 2 years, depending on my financial situation then.
    Anyway, my question is how much money should I plan on saving for my Asia trip? Approximately? Including everything (travel costs, food, accomodation, insurance, visa e.g.)
    If anyone has traveled to Australia/New Zealand afterwards I'll be glad on advice too :)
    Thx a lot :)

#1 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 17:38

• Advertisement

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

With a 1 to 2 year timeline before you ever leave may I suggest you do some research on this site and come back with more specific questions and information about yourself and interests. You will be more apt to get answers.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2012 - 02:32

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Notwithstanding the vagueness of your question I will try and answer you from my own experiences.

I travelled through China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Malaysia. €800 - €1,000 per month was what I found to be an adequate amount.

If you are looking to travel for 18 months, then including flights and visas you may want to aim to have €20k - €25k.

All of this advice comes with a large health warning however, as every individual will differ.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2012 - 09:42

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The cost of travel in the developed Asian countries like Japan and Korea are much higher than in the developing countries. You are looking at a daily budget of $80+
    In the developing countries like Laos, $20-30/day is feasible. Bhutan is a special case. The Bhutanese government is promoting low-impact, high value tourism and the costs are more like $200/day.

#4 Posted: 15/11/2012 - 20:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.