Finance and money forum

Emergency stash of money

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

So I've read the very helpful posts that have been made about managing money, using plastic, carrying emergency cash etc abroad and wondered if a few could give their idea of emergency money.

I have arranged for two separate debit cards, one with the bulk of my money in and the other with a smaller amount in case I lose the former card, that's one measure. I am going to use ATMs instead of travellers cheques on the whole, but should I take a couple of hundred dollars of travellers cheques for emergencies? And if so, is there any reason to hide a stash of cash in my bag if I'm going to hide travellers cheques anyway?

What do you do to keep yourself prepared in case of loss of your main source of money, and where do you keep it? i.e. what do you take with you when you go out and leave your bag in your room?

#1 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 12:38

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My general philosophy is to carry 1-2 days worth of cash on me in my day pack or in a small shoulder bag, and the rest is left behind, locked in my backpack. (Or the smaller amount is in my shoulder bag and the larger amount is in my daypack or a money belt when travelling from place to place. Whether I carry all of it or leave it behind depends on my feeling about security in the particular place. But I always keep it separate.

I then store a separate $200 or so as my emergency supply. This is hidden somewhere else in my pack (eg which cloths in a packing cube, or similar). And sometimes, I tuck a $20 note into my toiletry bag! I don't bother with TC's. Cash talks and if you are in dire straits needing your emergency cash fund, you may find yourself in a location where TC's aren't going to be accepted. Caveat: I don't stay in hostel dorms. I always opt for private rooms . I wouldn't be so keen to leave my cash behind if I were in a dorm.

That's good that you've got two separate ATM cards (that saved my butt once when I lost my wallet). Make sure that you keep those in separate locations too!

#2 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 13:22

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Everything under the clothes except my daily cash which is in a normal wallet in my pocket. No small packs, pouches or other magnets for bad guys. they want my cheap day pack with fruit and water they can take it, maybe.

I carry enough cash for a month or two, no ATM or T checks. Plastic for emergency. Watch those Asian tourists out of Taipei or Hong Kong, big wad of cash. They don't lose it.

Money is just so much paper.

#3 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 20:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures ... By sayadian on 14 Apr 2012 2 2079 14 Apr 2012