Finance and money forum

Safest and best way to take money...

• LauraAndLee1

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2012

Me and my partner are travelling south east asia in September for three months, we are unsure what the safest and best way is to take our money. Could anyone give us some tips? We are travelling to Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia. Thank you :)

#1 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 08:30

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I use the ATM's and would never even consider another way - no problems, extremely safe

#2 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 11:17

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I bring a combo of cash - (change on arrival) TC's, Credit cards and Debit cards, Some islands don't have ATM's so keep that in mind.

Most people will tell you ATM's all the way but I only use them once a month to cut down on bank fees, which can add up, I also lock my stuff in my bag. I do have a money belt, but rarely use it. It depends how paranoid you are and the type of places you are staying in. Your cards could get stolen or if there's a power outage for 4 days, like recently in Siem Reap - you'd still be in a bit of a pickle.

#3 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 17:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I use ATM's most of the time too, particularly since they are pretty much almost everywhere now. Just make sure you've got a 4-digit pin for use in Asia. But there are still a few isolated places that don't have ATMs, or sometimes the power is out or the ATM network is down, or your ATM card gets lost or stolen or ruined, or sometimes you just need a little bit more local currency before you cross a border, so I also carry a small amount of traveller's checks or sometimes even just a bit of US cash as an emergency back up.

#4 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 21:52

• gauravks

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013
    Location India

Prepaid travel card is also a safe option.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 05:26

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

I Dont agree with the prepay travel card.
    I used them in Australia and SE Asia 2 years ago. I put £5000 on one and $3000 on another.
    I found them very insecure.
    On more than half of places I used them i was offered an option to sign instead of my PIN.
    I even signed 'mickey mouse' on one occasion to test my theory.
    They people taking payment were not bothered whether you chip and PIN or sign; they still get there money.
    I am guessing if I had dropped them, someone could have used them in a lot of places by signing, and signing just about anything.

#6 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 06:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.