Finance and money forum

Ladies...would you want cheap beauty treatments whilst travelling?

• char86

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2013

Hi all :)

First post-hope it's in the right place. I'm planning an adventure with my bf to SE Asia next year and have used this forum loads-so thanks to everyone for all the useful posts.

So, I have been researching how to make a bit of money whilst travelling. A post which I found interesting was one which suggested hairdressers advertising their services in hostels/guesthouses. Does anyone have any experience of having done this?Was it popular?

I am not a hairdresser, but I'm thinking about doing a beauty course and wondered about putting this to use whilst travelling. Ladies, would you consider treatments such as eyelash extensions, waxing etc (at a very cheap price of course!) if you saw an advert in your accommodation?

Just want to get a wee idea of what people think before I enroll.

Thankyou :)
    Charlotte

#1 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 15:03

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

10 points for the idea - but I'd have to say no, I personally wouldn't be interested. Partly because I just don't indulge in those sort of services that much (other than hairdressing and maybe the odd manicure or facial for something to do). When travelling, I'd far more interested in a massage! The other consideration for me, however, is that I'd be more inclined to want to spend my money locally as long as I had reasonable trust in the quality of product being used.

But like I said - good on you for thinking outside the square. Maybe others will be more inclined...?

#2 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 21:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Charlotte,

I think you might have a difficult time making back what you spent on tuition. That's because you'd be competing against local beauty shops. The types of services you mention are widely available and often at rock-bottom prices. There is also the legal issue about you working in a foreign country without a work permit or business license to consider.

I think you may be able to pick up a bit of extra cash here and there, but I wouldn't count on making much more than that. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 22:13

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Charlotte,

To give you an idea of what prices are like.
    The cheapest haircut I can get is about US$1 and that is in a rinky-dinky barber shop. A hair cut in a first class barbershop is about US$5 to 6.

I go to a mid-range salon and get a decent haircut and shampoo for $5. This is in the Philippines and I suppose that prices in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia will be around there, give or take a few dollars.

#4 Posted: 8/6/2013 - 00:16

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think a very good hairdresser used to cutting and styling Western ladies' hair might get some takers, especially if she had a suitcase full of Western hair dyes as well, but there's no problem getting beauty treatments like facials, manicures and pedicures and waxing etc and the prices salons charge in SE Asia are dirt cheap compared to what you'd pay at home.

If you're planning on pursuing this as career once the holiday is over then maybe it would be good practice but it's quite likely you'll end up doing it for free for friends rather than making any actual money out of it. I doubt if you'd even cover the course of the course and you'd have to lug all the equipment around with you as well as your travel gear. Big luggage is always a big hassle, you'll enjoy things much more if you travel as light as you possibly can!

You need to think of something tourists will pay for that not many locals can do that doesn't involve carrying any extra luggage. Reiki therapy or something.

#5 Posted: 8/6/2013 - 18:13

• char86

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2013

Thankyou to everyone for their replies- it's really useful to get a general feeling of what people think :)

As it's something I'm interested in doing anyway, I'm still going to do the course, perhaps more for enjoyment rather than anything! I'm planning on ending my trip next year in Oz and (hopefully) extending my working holiday visa-so it might even come in handy for picking up temporary jobs in salons while I'm over there. My current job isn't unfortunately on the skilled occupation list, so think I need to add a few more strings to my bow if I don't want to be doing fruit picking for 2 years :)

Thanks again

#6 Posted: 13/6/2013 - 08:01

• Maryanne

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2013

I think it would not work to be honest, when I was in Bangkok I saw a lot of little salons with really cheap prices. I also tried a few and I will be honest, you get what you pay for. Communication was difficult and I felt quite cheated and depressed after leaving one as it resulted in my hair being almost ruined, I was not happy and went into panic mode.

To fix my problem I went online and found a specialized salon in Bangkok that was designed for Westerners, if your interested its called Zen Red, the staff spoke very good English and more importantly, the salon had everything professional in there, the chairs the wash tubs the machines and the hair products I recognized there, like shisheido and wella and top International brands, the smaller salon I have no idea what they used but it was a terrible smell.

I don't think if your travelling and you plan to make money doing beauty treatments on the side, you can carry this equipment and tools with you. You really cannot compete with these kind's of salons. Unless you plan to do smaller things like eyelash extensions but again, plenty of places in Bangkok do these for cheap.

Personally for me I like a massage daily and I will splurge out on hair colour and Brazilian keratin, I may even get some hair extensions on my way back home. If the salon is really good and I trust them.

#7 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 05:04

• brookhancok

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2014

Yeah...
    You need to Cosmetic treatment and i recommended a doctor at Cheshire by Dr. Nyla Raja, who has own clinic as where all surgery were done in professional manner. And they provide services at very reasonable cost.

#8 Posted: 29/9/2014 - 05:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Dare I say hair and beauty... For the ladies ... By millyb on 12 Oct 2010 8 4180 19 Jun 2013
MONEY WORRIES WHILST TRAVELLING!! ... By potta_boro on 3 May 2011 1 3183 3 May 2011
Weight loss/gain whilst travelling ... By luce_uk on 16 Jan 2010 24 17848 23 Sep 2014