Finance and money forum

Currency

• sandy_28

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

Hi,
    Going to Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos for a total of 5 weeks -

Should i buy currency here or there? Should i get some starter money here and some there? If i get it there, can i use credit card to buy it or should i stock up on U.S. currency and exchange it there?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 04:01

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi sandy,

as a general rule, it is better to buy your local currency in the country where you are going to use it. in other words, you'll get more baht for your money when you buy/exchange for baht in thailand than you would buying baht in japan or the states.

in japan, thailand and cambodia there are plenty of ATM's that accept ATM/bank cards. (laos still has very few international ATMs.) check with your bank to see which networks it uses and where you can get cash. be sure that you have a 4-digit PIN as well.

you can also get cash advances on credit cards in any of the countries you mentioned at banks and shops, although the fees add up pretty quickly.

in any case, i typically travel using my ATM card to get cash as needed from ATMs with a few traveller's checks and a bit of US cash as a back up.

US dollars are preferred for all but small purchases in cambodia, but the ATMs there dispense US dollars as well as Riel, so you won't necessarily need to be carrying a huge amount of cash.

there are several other posts on these topics with additional good tips from other travelfishers, so take a moment to see what folks have already written on these topics.

cheers. have a great trip.

#2 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 07:40

• jayne2402

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2007

hi everyone,
    im thinking of taking an ATM card to Cambodia, Loas and Vietnam. I am reading all different stories on whether to take a card or travellers cheques. Are there many ATM's available in those countries? are they in English?
    i have been to europe and they were very simple to use. are those in these country simple to use aswell?
    thanks for the advice
    Sarah

#3 Posted: 11/7/2007 - 15:34

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

There is only one cash point in the whole of Laos, at the airport supposedly, although I've never seen it.

Cash points in Thailand are plentiful and all banks supply an English Language option on the main screen.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 01:27

• notacrime

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

There are two cash machines in Luang Prabang. I tried one with my (American) citibank ATM card and it didn't work. Not sure why. Other foreigners have been able to get money out though.

Not sure about Vientiane.

#5 Posted: 24/7/2007 - 08:58

• kam_taxi

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2008

IN Vientiane Laos,

International ATM / Credit Card Services
    BCEL ATM in Vieniane Capital and in Other provinces in Lao PDR are pleased to provide credit card services for Visa, Master Card, Diners Club, JCB, Maestros and Plus.

Withdraw up to 7.000.000,00 LAK daily, 700.000,00 LAK/ Time ( about 10 Times/ day )

#6 Posted: 12/3/2008 - 13:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.