Finance and money forum

Hello and reassurance?!

• bmovieneil

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

Hi to all - newbie here. Firstly, hello - I've spent a fair amount of time reading the forum and it seems that this is a far more valuable (and far more friendly!) resource than certain other travel forums (mentioning no names *cough*..TT....)

Anyway.... my wife and I are are due to head off on a RTW trip in just over 9 months now. Having spent the past 2 years saving, reading, researching etc etc I am fairly confident in my figures and timescales etc. However, after spending the morning reading through various posts on here I guess I am just looking to some SE Asian experts for their opinion and to make sure we are not being unrealistic.
    I'm happy with our budgets for Russia, china, India and north and central america so I am just looking for peoples thoughts on the SE Asian region.
    We plan to spend roughly 5 months travelling the region. We don't have a set plan other than arriving in Vietnam from China and going with the flow from there (other than meeting friends in Thailand for new year). We will proably be aiming for the higher end of "budget" travel if that makes sense? Cheaper guesthouses or private rooms in hostels. Dont mind sharing a bathroom. Street food or cheap restraunts. Overnight trains to save on a nights accomodation. Sight seeing and plenty of walking. Visits to museums and sites, cheaper activities but nothing major like diving. Interested in relaxing and slow travel, discovering different food and cultures, meeting locals and other travellers and just generally chilling and exploring. We do drink but not in a "whhhooo spring breaaaak" crazy kinda way. More likely to be 4 or 5 beers in a chilled bar or on a balcony a couple of times a week.
    We have money put by for international flights around the region if needed but will prefer overland travel if feasible. Visas money is also seperate. The magic figure after all of this is approx £42 ($67) per day for 2 people sharing accomodation, food, sightseeing and travel (not including flights).
    I guess all I am asking is if this is realistic for the travelling style described?
    Many thanks in advance for any replies.

#1 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 06:54

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Definitely realistic. When I traveled for five months as a couple a few years ago in the exact same way you describe, we spent exactly $50 per day, not including visas and long haul flights (but including a few short leg flights and other regional transport). With $67 a day it won't be the high life, but that will get you decent accommodation with A/C and private bathroom in most places, and it should leave you enough breathing room to splash out on a nice dinner, midrange room or tour from time to time.

#2 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 09:15

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Yeah like DLuek says that figure seems about right for a somewhat budget traveller especially since you have a fair amount of time so will likely be travelling slowly. There are some tours that might cost you a bit extra, especially if you decide to go diving or something like that but overall it should cover most expenses.

#3 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 09:48

• bmovieneil

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

thats really great to hear guys - many thanks for taking the time to reply

#4 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 09:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.