Finance and money forum

1 month SEA budget

• iBredo

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2013

Hi!
    A friend and I have booked a 33 day guided tour through south east Asia(Thailand, Laos, Vietnam then Cambodia). Plus two days spare time either side. All our travelling, accommodation and sight seeing is paid already. How much can we expect to pay(USD) per day for food, drinks and some partying?
    We've also been told to expect to tip the guide roughly $3 per day per person, on top of the charge. Also tipping at restaurants and bell boys. We're from Australia and tipping is definitely not a huge thing here.
    Do you think $2500 for the month would be plenty? We plan on spoiling ourselves a little.
    Cheers!

B

#1 Posted: 10/10/2013 - 04:12

• Advertisement

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Hi iBredo,

That would be definetely enough as your travelling, accomdation and sight seeing is paid already. Local food is very cheap and mouthwatering good too. Regarding to partying/alcohol, it really depends on where you want to go. High class clubs may get pretty expensive. (alcohol prices, price to get in) Some clubs charge western prices. It really depends on yourself.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 09:14

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Tipping isn't required but if you believe someone has earned it throw them a dollar or two. I don't know the details on your tour but I probably wouldn't feel it necessary to tip the guide every day.

2500 per month is roughly what most couples spend to pay for everything so you guys having that much to spend just on food and drinks should be tons unless you guys are heavy drinkers/partiers.

#3 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 09:53

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi,
    $2500 for the month is a fortune. You won't need anywhere near that much unless you plan on partying every night, or drink nothing but champagne.

Some basic prices for example (these are based on my trip from 2.5 years ago, so may have gone up slightly with inflation):
    - Plate of food from a street food stall / market / street kitchen : $1-2
    - Meal in a sit-down restaurant (not including alcohol): $4-6 for a standard place, a bit more for Western food. "Fancy" restaurants can be a lot more.
    - Small bottle of water: $0.20-30 in a shop, $1 in a cafe or restaurant
    - Coffee or iced coffee: $0.75-1.50
    - Cheap local beer in a basic bar/cafe: $1-2
    - Fancy cocktail bar / club: basically Western prices.
    Prices will be a higher in the really touristy areas, like some of the Islands. Expect to pay double the above.

So, assuming you eat street food or in cafes for breakfast and lunch, dinner at a basic restaurant, and a couple of beers a night, you can expect to pay perhaps $10-16 each for your food/drink, outside of the tourist-trap areas. For days when you want to eat in fancy restaurants or go clubbing, you could easily spend several times that daily total.

Hope that helps! Have fun.

#4 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 01:44

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Let's put it this way, my budget for 4 months SEA this winter - not doing a guided tour will be aprox $4000 - $4500 CDN - I think you're fine - [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
    ZoomButt.gif

#5 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 02:09

• iBredo

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2013

Cheers all! We've been getting mixed reports from family and friends about what we'll need. This has definitely answered some questions.

#6 Posted: 17/11/2013 - 07:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.