Finance and money forum

Planning a route, money involved.

• UKTravels

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2013

Hey,

I'm new on here so not sure how it works and where things go, so sorry in advance lol !

I'm currently saving for a trip through Asia. The route I want to take is Japan > Korea > Bali > Borneo > Bangkok.. then from Bangkok work my way through Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, then spend maybe 5 month in Thailand. Half of which I will be spending at a Muay Thai camp.

I have this idea of doing my travels through the south east on motorbike, but I'm traveling solo so i would have to navigate through the place myself..

Anyway! In Japan and Korea, i plan to work at a hostel for my stay. I plan to do the same or similar set ups in Bali and Borneo. I want to do as much volunteer work as possible through my trip, preferably with animals or some sort of building help.

I was planing on £6000 to live on. Is this doable ? That's not including flights

Any advice at all will be much appreciated !

Thanks

#1 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 01:44

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hmmm. You don't say how long your total trip is, so how long the 6000 pounds would have to last. My suspicion, though, is that it's going to be quite difficult.

You can certainly live on £500 a month, if you're careful, in the cheaper areas like Northern or Central Thailand. But Korea and Japan are significantly more expensive. Also remember that the more you travel around, the more you spend, and you've got quite a few long hops in your itinerary. Also if you plan on buying a motorbike or renting one a lot, that's going to add to the costs too.

Finally, I don't know how easy it is likely to be to find work at hostels - I'm certainly no expert on on the subject. But playing devil's advocate here: why would they want someone who's transient (not going to stick around long) when they can hire a local for peanuts? Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think it's a good idea to plan out your budget without assuming you'll be able to get your accommodation provided. That way, if you do manage it, it's a bonus (yeah! More money for beer!) rather than a problem if you don't.

Best of luck, and have a great time.

#2 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 13:55

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you are moving around or seeing sights etc $30 a day is about the minimum I suggest to aim for(Also is what I did although you miss the odd thing and settle for less in places because of it). If you are just staying in a location and living per say then it isn't as bad but I am guessing still need at least $20 unless you are finding some place that gives you free accommodation and/or food in return for work. As mentioned Japan etc are more expensive too. Also flights are likely going to add up pretty good if those are meant to come out of your 6,000 pounds.

Remember working at a hostel etc isn't really volunteering. You are just providing someone with cheap labour and putting locals out of a job. Helpx, wwoof etc aren't usually what I consider volunteering although you can find the odd one that actually does meaningful work, the rest are just using you to make themselves a living.

Buying and then reselling a motorcycle is possible but research it fully as it has significant risks especially if you are going to be travelling around as long as you are. You have to know that you won't be able to get travel insurance to cover yourself nor will you have vehicle insurance in case you injure someone else or do damage etc.

#3 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 14:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning and Route Help ... By Samjeans1 on 1 May 2013 6 1163 7 May 2013
Couple planning six months in Thailand - how much money, where to go, etc. ... By Doodler on 17 Feb 2010 1 1725 17 Feb 2010
Doing Bankok, Phuket and Ko Samui, need help planning route ... By shore9 on 18 Oct 2007 1 3219 19 Oct 2007
help with route planning...problem being the 30 day max stay in Thailand!! ... By jenmoore on 4 Sep 2009 3 1883 5 Sep 2009